Clothing for Colorado second season Elk

RRTgpV.jpg

If you need a -20 degree bag you either have a crappy bag or a crappy un-insulated pad.
No offense but late season in the west you may want to rethink that. I've been involved in hunting/camping/Scouts for a looooong time and out here we camp year round, even sub-zero.

This was the temp AFTER we finished setting up dekes for a morning duck/goose hunt near Glasgow MT. It was -38 when we left the house at 6:00am. This was late December. I had a sleeping bag zipped open IN my ground blind that morning.
0cmGeor.jpg

B3W1uk5.jpg

This was a Scout 3 day snowshoe trek on top of the Divide along the CT. Sub-zero temps.
Ta4siJv.jpg

Another Scout 3 day snowshoe hike west of the divide again sub zero. See that fluffy orange bag airing out on top of the bushes? North Face Inferno -20.
sZ93K48.jpg

We've got 6-8 sleeping bags and 4 or more tents. I watch other folks get miserable from the cold with lesser sleeping arrangements. I don't get cold. I sleep very well in those conditions, trust me. :)

I wouldn't come out here even in late November without being prepared. My old neighbor from WV came out here 4 years ago and I took him mule deer hunting up along the CN border for 10 days. When he asked what to bring I said "Everything". It could be 65 deg, it could be -20 or more with snow and wind. The hunt started with temps in the 60's, and two days later a system blew in and it was below 0-5deg, 20mph winds and snow. I pulled a 4 season RV onto BLM as a base camp (Arctic Fox). We blew thru 160lbs of propane for that trip- and that was keeping the camper at 60deg. Until you've been out here and 'in it', it is VERY HARD to acclimate to those conditions. Even with good clothes he could only be out in it for a few hours at a time.

Last edited:
What Montana-eer said about -20 F. bags.

As a former Norcic (XC) Ski Patroller and Alpine Ski Patroller (same training as EMT) and an Army ROTC winter survival instructor I can say that if the temps COULD be -10 F. you do need that -20 F. bag - and that winter mattress with at least an R 5 rating.

And you do need mittens in sub-zero weather even if you also carry gloves. Some winter backcountry skiers & hunters just get an XL size mitten shell to go over their gloves. That works too if your gloves are warm enough. Also I wear knit glove liners to sleep, as well as a light fleece balaclava.

But VBL (Vapor Barrier Liner) socks in your insulated boots are often either overlooked or plain unknown to hunters. As mentioned in other posts on LRH I prefer US Divers brand of 3 mm thick closed cell neoprene VBLs over thin Poly liner socks. They have shaped Left and Right feet and are factory seam sealed. They totally keep sweat out of your boot insulation, period.
No other socks needed if your boot insulation is good enough. Without VBLs your boots get progressively colder as the hours pass and more and more of your sweat compromises the insulation.

EricB.

What Montana-eer said about -20 F. bags.

As a former Norcic (XC) Ski Patroller and Alpine Ski Patroller (same training as EMT) and an Army ROTC winter survival instructor I can say that if the temps COULD be -10 F. you do need that -20 F. bag - and that winter mattress with at least an R 5 rating.

And you do need mittens in sub-zero weather even if you also carry gloves. Some winter backcountry skiers & hunters just get an XL size mitten shell to go over their gloves. That works too if your gloves are warm enough. Also I wear knit glove liners to sleep, as well as a light fleece balaclava.

But VBL (Vapor Barrier Liner) socks in your insulated boots are often either overlooked or plain unknown to hunters. As mentioned in other posts on LRH I prefer US Divers brand of 3 mm thick closed cell neoprene VBLs over thin Poly liner socks. They have shaped Left and Right feet and are factory seam sealed. They totally keep sweat out of your boot insulation, period.
No other socks needed if your boot insulation is good enough. Without VBLs your boots get progressively colder as the hours pass and more and more of your sweat compromises the insulation.

EricB.

Yup. I use wool glommets AND a muff around my waist in cold weather. I use polypro sock liners and good wool (usually), but I do have 3mm neoprene in my clothing arsenal as well. Muffs are by far the most valuable comfort item I have. When I'm ground blind hunting for geese and ducks I can just use lightweight liner gloves and as long as I can shove them in a muff my fingers stay toasty. After all- isn't that what a muff is all about? ;)

Also if I'm going to be stationary and glassing for a while in really cold weather- I carry my old Cabelas down underwear button down top and a lightweight synthetic throw in my day pack. When I stop- I take off my light overcoat, cool off completely then put the down on and put my jacket back on. Then I sit my butt down on an insulated pad and I cover my legs with the throw (when bone chilling cold). The added weight of those two items in my walking pack is negligible, but the comfort in sub-zero is awesome.

I don't spend a lot on super expensive hunting clothes, most of my stuff is used or cheap things I know that works. Been in the freezer, done that, I stay warm and cover ground.

"...and after all, isn't that what a muff is all about?" Ohhh, I won't touch that statement or I'll get censored for sure bu the moderator. (And I know Len personally.)

I make many of my hunting clothes do for winter backcountry skiing as well. Hey buy extra stuff just for hunting?

I'll mention again my favorite winter pants are Duluth Trading Co. Dry on theFly fleece lined nylon cargo pants. They are warm, tough, windproof, will not absorb water and will pass your body moisture out.

Ooooo! -30 F. down bags.
That is about the limit of down bags. I think my -20 F. down bag could take me to -30 F. while wearing my light down jacket and down pants. I've used them in my 30 F. Western Mountaineering Megalite bag at 15 F. and was comfy.

*I always, but always, wear my light fleece balaclava when sleeping in winter. It's not always possible to keep your head in the bag's hood when asleep.
Eric B.

I think my NF Inferno sleeps warmer than its rating. I just sleep in my Army surplus lightweight poly pro thermal bottoms and a cotton t-shirt, no knit cap and I usually have the zipper open below the mummy hood and sleep with my head 1/2 way out. The heat just radiates. I have to fully vent both my 4 season NF tent and the Sierra SFC Assault bivy or I'll have ice formed inside the tent.

I lucked out on that bag- it was an EBay snatch for about $300. I'd love a Western Mountaineering but man are they spendy! I know they're worth it though.

Last edited:
Montana'eer,
I hear you on scoring a deal on your sleeping bag. I paid full rate for my WM bag and even another $40. to get it overstuffed to 20 F..
BUT... I lucked out two years ago by stumbling on a one day LL Bean sale on my -20 F. bag with 750 goose down fill. It was a $420. bag for $250. with two discounts. Now Bean's doesn't even sell a -20 F. bag, only low as 0 F.
Eric B.

This year "Santa" (my wife) brought me a pair of full side zipper down pants. They will go in my hunting pack in case I get stuck overnight away from my camp. They would be worn under my Gore-Tex pants. Ya never know...

Eric B.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.