Closest kill with a bow

Bobz7

There been a lot on the longest bow kill. How about getting close. When you are under 10 feet of your game it is a rush.

I have not killed a lot of animals with a bow but I can tell you that the black bear I killed at 5 yards...Yes I said 5 while sitting on the ground was quite a rush. The Bear was 230 lbs field dressed. He was killed in North Georgia September 2011

Shot a 6x6 bull a couple years ago at 5 steps away from me but it was severely uphill so it was real close to 10 feet. A big animal that close and above you like that was something else!

Scot E

I steered a bull right up through my buddy and the shot was at 1.5 steps from his feet to the bulls front hoof track.

Ihhave had 2 in the 9 yrd range,bulls.And one that I paseed at super close,looked like I could just stab with arrow.Some close bear and whitey too

Whitetail doe at 3 feet. I could have punched her hard in the nose but I was at full draw. I still can't believe she was that close.

Northern Virginia, 3 years ago. I took a doe with my bow that was rubbing her side on the tree I was sitting in. I was in my climber about 15 feet up. Clean kill through the spine and the heart. She died instantly still leaning against the tree!

The 2010 hunting here in Oregon was like bulls gone wild. In the course of eight days the last week of season, we seen over 30 bulls and outsmarted 18 to inside bow range.
On the morning of the fourth day it was my turn to call. We followed a heard up to their beds and got set up. I started soft and slow and after 10 minutes a buddy of mine had a decent 5 x 5 slip into 9 yards. It busted him and slipped to 30 yards before I can get it stopped. He took a shot but the rookie had a clean MISS... We figured it was over. So gathering our thoughts of another hunt gone wrong enough time went by for the herd bull to figure out that the satellite bull gave them the slip with several of his cows and he was not gonna live with that... The next few minutes was real exciting but quick. He was coming in on a string towards me and he went within 3 yards of my brother when he got hundred grain muzzy in one side and out the other... It ran towards me and expired within seconds..
Bull#1 3yrds...
Thinking that was a once-in-a-lifetime being so close to such a big bull for anyone of us in our party we set out to hunt for the next couple days thinking that that would never happen again.... But little did we know it only got better..
Two days later it was my turn to be the shooter. It was a short afternoon hunt, Not thinking we would see anything three bulls in one small canyon started going crazy..
Quickly I checked the wind listen to the bugles and made my mind which one I will try to set up on... And less than two minutes I was within 100 yards of the bull and I knew he was ready to come get us.. I gave out one aggressive bugle inside 60 yards and it was game on.. I told my rookie missing buddy that was not very Adequate at calling either all he had to do was take my hyperlip single and call a few times and that's what he did.. So I step behind a little reprod tree and waited.. about 10 seconds later I see a very nice 6 x 6 bull headed straight for me and it made me kind of nervous. I drew my bow thinking?? he would come out and turn once he got the opening but he didn't he came straight to me and stopped at less than 3 yards staring me right in the eyes...
And that's when you know just how big those animals are.... It seemed like an eternity but my buddy finally called again.. His eyes turned away from me and that's when I knew I had him he walked a little bit closer right next to me and as soon as his head past my shoulders I turned and MUZZYIED him... It was 5boot lengths from his tracks to mine..
For Bull # 2 probably more like from the tip of my arrow to behind the shoulder 3 feet or less....
So that was a good year.. With more than 1 close encounter...
Nice stories from all.. Jesterg

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.