Close range glass... sorta

threejones

I've been brush hunting a bit lately and all my glass is WAY overkill. I thought I'd try a dot type scope/sight (ACOG ish, but without the $900 price tag). I was just wondering what guys are running on their brush guns. I thought I might get a QD mount and use it on my slug gun as well, so if you've got a little field time with one I'd like to hear about it. Pros n cons of each.

C'mon guys, I know it's the LRH site, but someone has to have a little field time with a red dot, or reflex sight, or something...

I put a Burris Fastfire on a Ruger 96/44. No field time yet, but in the basement, low light, it handles well, acquiring the already mounted critters is easy. First impressions is the battery life is short, I'd spend a bit more money on something either not totally battery dependent, or something that is rechargeable.

Thanx guys, I took a look at the Aimpoint. It looks great, but I'm not sure if I'm ready to cough up that much cash on a brush gun (yet... I'm sure it'll end up happening at some point anyway:D) They did have a Vortex that seemed to fit the bill. I think it's basicly a rip-off of the Aimpoint, but I've had good luck with the newer Vortex stuff so far. At about half the price of an Aimpoint or Eotec, it looks like it might be worth a shot. Any thoughts on the Vortex dot sights?

I've got the Vortex Strikefire on my .50 Beowulf, call it a torture test :rolleyes: it hasn't fallen apart yet. At that price range it's fine. I've came across several EOTechs in the high $300 range which I thought was very reasonable. The Aimpoint is a bad *** optic & is priced accordingly. You can have cheap & you can have good; very rarely can you have both. I am awaiting my ADM mount to show up so I can mount my VX-R to my 5.56. I went that route as a "jack of all trades" sort of deal. Red dot for fast aquisition, 1.25x power on the bottom end & 4x on the top end for medium range work. It might work & it might not:D we'll see.

t

I've got the Vortex Strikefire on my .50 Beowulf, call it a torture test :rolleyes: it hasn't fallen apart yet. At that price range it's fine. I've came across several EOTechs in the high $300 range which I thought was very reasonable. The Aimpoint is a bad *** optic & is priced accordingly. You can have cheap & you can have good; very rarely can you have both. I am awaiting my ADM mount to show up so I can mount my VX-R to my 5.56. I went that route as a "jack of all trades" sort of deal. Red dot for fast aquisition, 1.25x power on the bottom end & 4x on the top end for medium range work. It might work & it might not:D we'll see.

t
I like the VX-R idea. Something that will serve multiple roles makes dropping extra cash a little easier. Let me know how it works out for ya.

Trigicon ACOG 4X green horseshoe reticle. I didn't want to pay $1K for it, but it's perfect! Bullet proof, Lifetime warranty, only twelve for the tritium.

Trigicon ACOG 4X green horseshoe reticle. I didn't want to pay $1K for it, but it's perfect! Bullet proof, Lifetime warranty, only twelve for the tritium.
I looked at one the other day, and it did look ideal. But putting an ACOG on my old brush beater rig would be like putting a $20 saddle on a $2 horse:D.

I looked at one the other day, and it did look ideal. But putting an ACOG on my old brush beater rig would be like putting a $20 saddle on a $2 horse:D.

I agree that it looks that way at first thought. It feels that way after you shell out the cash and wait for it to arrive in the mail. It's seems like buying a brand new pickup just to take it rock crawling.

When it turns out that it's just an overpriced trials bike, that is exactly what it was made to do.

Bounce around for a few years in the tractor, or the HMMMV, make it to the range now and then, make nice accuracy, and maybe one day stop a chance 120gr 7.62x39mm. Great in low light woods, in the dark, and great at close up fast work.

Maybe I'm just making myself feel better about blowing a thousand, on a great optic. I've had enough bad luck with the 80-100dollar special Bushies, and BSAs. This time I got a solid American product, you get what you pay for.

I was able to get the Stag out the other day & rock the VX-R for a while. I'm happy to report that I made the right decision. Crank her down to 1.25, kick on the dot & have some fun. Drop to prone crank it to 4x & I was able to put 5 @100 into about an inch. Not too dern bad for a 16" carbine.

I'm pleased to say the least.

t

I was able to get the Stag out the other day & rock the VX-R for a while. I'm happy to report that I made the right decision. Crank her down to 1.25, kick on the dot & have some fun. Drop to prone crank it to 4x & I was able to put 5 @100 into about an inch. Not too dern bad for a 16" carbine.

I'm pleased to say the least.

t
Good to hear. I'm a Leupy fan, so I'll probably go that route anyway. Do you feel like you were getting on target as quick as a dot sight (as in, both eyes open aiming)?

I was going both eyes open & it didn't bother me. I believe with practice, you can rock it just like a red dot because, well, it has that too:D

A person should be able to train themselves to use the dot in the VX-R just like a standard red dot.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.