Close call!

No a road encounter but..................................Friend & I were out in the desert at our usual shooting spot that all the dirt bikers & four wheelers avoid. We had just finished our last targets & I looked up to see 2 bike riders right in our shooting lane!! We were so stunned we couldn't say anything as they waved & rode away! Turns out it was a man & his wife from our senior community! SCARY!! Some people just have no brains or common sense (or hearing or eyesight)!! That's the first time in 4 years we have ever seen bicycles there! Kind of rattled me a bit! I tried to post it on our Nextdoor website but it's run by lefties so they took it down!
I find this hilarious! Hate firearms so bad that you don't want to remind everyone to be aware of your surroundings!

Yes, and if there is 3-4 feet of pavement between the white line and the ditch they will ride the white line rather than give a motorist a little more leeway to pass them. And we have to very careful to obey the bikers rights as a lot are wearing cameras as if they are just baiting somebody to mess up. Very frustrating!!!
Winner, winner…chicken dinner

Some places advocate walking or bike riding AGAINST the flow of traffic-- they claim its easier to see each other
I grew up in the country and spent a lot of time riding my bike back and forth to town, and even back then I road against the flow of traffic for exactly that reason- so I could see what was coming. I think doing so helped others to decide to move over, even if it was just a little bit. There was no shoulder, and but I still stayed as far as possible out off the lane of traffic.
I HATED riding with traffic because there were always those who seemed to want to intentionally get close.

Fast forward to today.

I spend a LOT of time behind the wheel. Every day I see people get over on the shoulder or into the other lane because they are messing with their phone. If I was to be on a bicycle these days I would absolutely ride against traffic just in self defense. But I'd also stay as far off the road as possible.

The real problem is State, Local Highway Departments and Municipalities do not want to pay for paved shoulders to keep bicycles off 55MPH roads. We have bicyclist that ride down center of 55MPH roads freaking DARING you to screw with them. How about riding down center of I90? Called organ donor. Group riding shutting down 55MPH roads? Group riding shutting down intersections to keep groups together?

This is a pure safety issue that cannot be resolved without proper infrastructure. Roads are for vehicles that can COMPLY with speed limits to prevent "obstruction of traffic".

There are a lot of roads with extra wide shoulders for Amish buggies so why not for bicycles? Therefore pay a road tax to use no different than ANY OTHER vehicle using a road.

Last edited:
The real problem is State, Local Highway Droartments and Municipalities do not want to pay for paved shoulders to keep bicycles off 55MPH roads. We have bicyclist that ride down center of 55MPH roads freaking DARING you to screw with them. How about riding down center of I90? Called organ donor. Group riding shutting down 55MPH roads? Group riding shutting down intersections to keep groups together?

This is a pure safety issue that cannot be resolved without proper infrastructure. Roads are for vehicles that can COMPLY with speed limits to prevent "obstruction of traffic".

There are a lot if roads with extra wide shoulders for Amish buggies so why not for bicycles? Therefore pay a road tax to use no different than ANY OTHER vehicle using a road.
🤔
The real problem is State, Local Highway Droartments and Municipalities do not want to pay for paved shoulders to keep bicycles off 55MPH roads. We have bicyclist that ride down center of 55MPH roads freaking DARING you to screw with them. How about riding down center of I90? Called organ donor. Group riding shutting down 55MPH roads? Group riding shutting down intersections to keep groups together?

There are a lot if roads with extra wide shoulders for Amish buggies so why not for bicycles? Therefore pay a road tax to use no different than ANY OTHER vehicle using a road.
amish i call them hemorrhoids around hear

Rich, you were fortunate to survive the encounter. In Portland bicyclist are known as the Spandex Mafia. Mess with them and they'll smash your windshield with a brick and call the cops on ya. And, if the encounter is at night, may the Lord have mercy on you.

I dont really care what the law says- there is this thing called common courtesy that seems so lacking any more and is only getting worse all the time.
When a bicycle is going 10 mph and I'm going, lets say 70 (or even 30) and there is a 3 foot shoulder, bicyclist needs to get onto said shoulder to avoid a very dangerous situation NO MATTER WHAT THE LAW SAYS.
3 foot paved shoulder not full of **** is great.

Rich, you were fortunate to survive the encounter. In Portland bicyclist are known as the Spandex Mafia. Mess with them and they'll smash your windshield with a brick and call the cops on ya. And, if the encounter is at night, may the Lord have mercy on you.
Would make month.

No a road encounter but..................................Friend & I were out in the desert at our usual shooting spot that all the dirt bikers & four wheelers avoid. We had just finished our last targets & I looked up to see 2 bike riders right in our shooting lane!! We were so stunned we couldn't say anything as they waved & rode away! Turns out it was a man & his wife from our senior community! SCARY!! Some people just have no brains or common sense (or hearing or eyesight)!! That's the first time in 4 years we have ever seen bicycles there! Kind of rattled me a bit! I tried to post it on our Nextdoor website but it's run by lefties so they took it down!
Car drivers have their idiots just as bicycle drivers have their idiots. Each has their fair share of idiots.

If I am out and about off road, what safety measures are at your spot to notify all? What safety precautions do you use? Think like a NRA range safety or even a US Army range safety. Some of us have done both.

Once about a time a long time ago, I would go out into the Mojave Desert, find a gully, draught or whatever you want to call it and start practicing my aim. The gully sides would be the left and right range limits and the gully would terminate a few hundred yards forward. Shoot away. When I would go for a long run, sometimes I could hear shooting the next one over and know to go the other way.

Last edited:
Yes, and if there is 3-4 feet of pavement between the white line and the ditch they will ride the white line rather than give a motorist a little more leeway to pass them. And we have to very careful to obey the bikers rights as a lot are wearing cameras as if they are just baiting somebody to mess up. Very frustrating!!!
OK, you drive this same white line (DOT calls this a fog line) and stay on the road. As a shared road, I am entitled to some space just as a car driver. As for the legalities, I ride to the right as far as I can practically can (and safely). Most of the time there is a drop off at the edge of the pavement that can cause a bicyclist to crash. Some ignorant bicyclists try to ride this fog line, but that is soo dangerous as a bicycle driver. Read up on dangerous by design.

I dont really care what the law says- there is this thing called common courtesy that seems so lacking any more and is only getting worse all the time.
When a bicycle is going 10 mph and I'm going, lets say 70 (or even 30) and there is a 3 foot shoulder, bicyclist needs to get onto said shoulder to avoid a very dangerous situation NO MATTER WHAT THE LAW SAYS.
How about this attitude:

I do not care what the law says, we must ban all these ugly black rifles'

Laws are usually designed to protect each of us from others. One of my favorites is a small add on to this other law, this add on is called the Bill of Rights. I really like the 2d Amendment. It protects me from other ignorant folks who are afraid of what they do not understand and can be easily brainwashed. I am seeing quite a bit of entitled ignorance in this thread.

This idea that bicyclist have the same right away is a joke. I'm not saying all of them are jerks, but more are then not so the respect... sorry guys aint there. Especially on country roads.

Recent Posts