Close call!

In all 50 states, bicycles are legally vehicles. With some small additions in state statues for bicycle drivers to keep to the right to allow motorized vehicles to pass on the left. As a vehicle, bikes are required by law to travel in the same direction as motorized vehicles. This is a shining example of wrong way riders, better known as idiots on bikes. I have almost hit an old lady on a bike going the wrong way on a divided highway and I looked the correct direction as this gentleman did. You have idiots in cars and a few ride bikes, so there are plenty idiots on bikes.
Most law enforcement are poorly trained on the state vehicle code and usually less informed on bike specific statues and many really have zero clue. In Florida, we have a law enforcement guide for bicyclists and pedestrians available online if you would like to read and heed.
Since I am now retired with a disabilty from the US Army, I shoot pistols and shoot and reload quite a variety of rifles from 5.56 to 30-06 Garands and now have the luxury to shoot beyond 300 meters with my choice of personal weapons and use my choice of sights. Still looking to do a night shoot at 3000 meters as we used to do as my original MOS of tanker life, maybe over a 1000 meters with 6.5 Creedmoor is more reasonable instead.

Since I can no longer run due to my disability acquired during my twenty plus year career as a US Army Scout, I ride a bicycle for my cardio. This tends to be more dangerous than being down range with incoming small arms fire at times due to poorly designed roads and idiots in cars.

If roads were designed and enforced for all users, motorized vehicle drivers and bicycle drivers would be less stressed with each other.

So, get off your high combustion powered horse and realize that we all pay fuel taxes for state roads and property taxes for local roads. I pay my required usage fees for my two cars, two bicycles and two RVs. With my money pit RVs, I pay quite a bit of fuel taxes and the decent house pays quite a bit of property tax.

I understand there are laws for bike riders. I understand that they feel the need to ride on the roads. But the fact is most places have specific bike paths. Use them. Stay out of the street. You wouldn't send your kids to play in it, bikers should stay out too. It's already dangerous enough riding a MC with cagers, let alone someone who can't keep up with the flow of traffic. I find it sad that they blame grandma who came up over the hill at the 50 mph and hits the group taking up the whole road cause they can't ride single file. Theres a reason they aren't allowed on highways, the same should apply to city streets and back roads.

Oh boy, don't get me started on bicycle riders. It could get me kicked off this forum. That's all I will say.
Hold my beer! I am beginning to think that the bicycle riders have go into a dumbing room to learn how to be stupid. A sad thing the other day a bicyle rider drove into a parked car. Short story, he won't do that again.
In Mexico-North (Cal) they don't have to stop at signal or stop sign if making a righthand turn. In most states if they use a crosswalk they are to walk across it not ride.
I really feel that bicycle should be licenses, and relicenses each year. Road tax too. Above 12yrs of age, have to take a test, and pass it. We are paying for there paths with gas tax.

Imagine this.
2000 gph bilge pump discharge at about 7ft above the pavement. ( Purty good size boat). A person COULD wire the pump up on a remote. And he COULD purposely put a few hundred gallons in the bilge before he trailered the boat. This would be useful to the toad terrorists. If they were to get some black soot on them from the diesel truck pulling the boat, the driver could be courteous and give them a quick shower as he passed.

I was such a jack@$$ in my younger days.

Imagine this.
2000 gph bilge pump discharge at about 7ft above the pavement. ( Purty good size boat). A person COULD wire the pump up on a remote. And he COULD purposely put a few hundred gallons in the bilge before he trailered the boat. This would be useful to the toad terrorists. If they were to get some black soot on them from the diesel truck pulling the boat, the driver could be courteous and give them a quick shower as he passed.

I was such a jack@$$ in my younger days.
I'm not sure that it's a good idea to assault people given the litigious nature of the population these days. I do however, continue to follow groups that ride abreast of the road and call the county sheriff that he may stop the group and remind them of road rules.

In all 50 states, bicycles are legally vehicles. With some small additions in state statues for bicycle drivers to keep to the right to allow motorized vehicles to pass on the left. As a vehicle, bikes are required by law to travel in the same direction as motorized vehicles. This is a shining example of wrong way riders, better known as idiots on bikes. I have almost hit an old lady on a bike going the wrong way on a divided highway and I looked the correct direction as this gentleman did. You have idiots in cars and a few ride bikes, so there are plenty idiots on bikes.
Most law enforcement are poorly trained on the state vehicle code and usually less informed on bike specific statues and many really have zero clue. In Florida, we have a law enforcement guide for bicyclists and pedestrians available online if you would like to read and heed.
Since I am now retired with a disabilty from the US Army, I shoot pistols and shoot and reload quite a variety of rifles from 5.56 to 30-06 Garands and now have the luxury to shoot beyond 300 meters with my choice of personal weapons and use my choice of sights. Still looking to do a night shoot at 3000 meters as we used to do as my original MOS of tanker life, maybe over a 1000 meters with 6.5 Creedmoor is more reasonable instead.

Since I can no longer run due to my disability acquired during my twenty plus year career as a US Army Scout, I ride a bicycle for my cardio. This tends to be more dangerous than being down range with incoming small arms fire at times due to poorly designed roads and idiots in cars.

If roads were designed and enforced for all users, motorized vehicle drivers and bicycle drivers would be less stressed with each other.

So, get off your high combustion powered horse and realize that we all pay fuel taxes for state roads and property taxes for local roads. I pay my required usage fees for my two cars, two bicycles and two RVs. With my money pit RVs, I pay quite a bit of fuel taxes and the decent house pays quite a bit of property tax.
I dont really care what the law says- there is this thing called common courtesy that seems so lacking any more and is only getting worse all the time.
When a bicycle is going 10 mph and I'm going, lets say 70 (or even 30) and there is a 3 foot shoulder, bicyclist needs to get onto said shoulder to avoid a very dangerous situation NO MATTER WHAT THE LAW SAYS.

Thank you for your service…

Also, thank you for the laugh with the story about riding bikes…it brings back memories…when I was 12 :)

Last edited:
Most states (likely) require bicycle ( and MOTORCYCLE!) riders to follow state traffic (i.e. vehicle) traffic laws when operating on city/state streets and roads.

Stop signs, traffic lights, lane use, etc…

Some riders don't think the traffic laws apply to them. Especially (IME, motorcycle) when they put on black leather vests…..

One of my HP partners worked a fatal bicycle wreck between Devils Tower Junction and Moorcroft, WY in which he determined the rider was killed when he lost control riding downhill at high speed, a small bird impacted him in his face and he lost control and was ejected.

Said partner (a taxidermist) found a small yellow feather inside the victims nose. He walked back uphill and found said bird dead along the road.

Some stuff you just can't make up.
And it is just your turn to meet your maker.

No a road encounter but..................................Friend & I were out in the desert at our usual shooting spot that all the dirt bikers & four wheelers avoid. We had just finished our last targets & I looked up to see 2 bike riders right in our shooting lane!! We were so stunned we couldn't say anything as they waved & rode away! Turns out it was a man & his wife from our senior community! SCARY!! Some people just have no brains or common sense (or hearing or eyesight)!! That's the first time in 4 years we have ever seen bicycles there! Kind of rattled me a bit! I tried to post it on our Nextdoor website but it's run by lefties so they took it down!

Some places advocate walking or bike riding AGAINST the flow of traffic-- they claim its easier to see each other--- I've never been a fan and refuse to cooperate with those signs.

50mph car, and bike going 20mph in the same direction means a net speed of 30mph crash.....50 mph car and bike going 20mph in an opposed direction is a net crash speed of 70mph --- ill always opt for the lower net crash speed if I have an option.

Most bicycles dont obey the rules/laws anymore anyway -- they think riding on the sidewalk or across cross walks is ok, let alone the other rules/laws they break--- and now in Colorado cars must give bikes a 3 foot allowance in order to pass them (even if the bicyclist is breaking the law)---this law allows the auto drive to cross over a double yellow ( DO NOT PASS ZONE) to pass a bicycle. Which of course creates confusion of who actually has the right of way.

And bikes are allowed to treat stop signs as yield signs, and red stop lights as stop signs --- go figure!
Yes, and if there is 3-4 feet of pavement between the white line and the ditch they will ride the white line rather than give a motorist a little more leeway to pass them. And we have to very careful to obey the bikers rights as a lot are wearing cameras as if they are just baiting somebody to mess up. Very frustrating!!!