Clearidge Ultra XP5

winmagman

Curiosity got the best of me and I ordered one of the 4.5x22.5x50 models last Thur. evening. Gotta give kudos to Jon and the Optics Zone as it was on the doorstep this afternoon at 4:30, pretty darn quick delivery!!

First impression out of the box was positive, seems solidly built with a smooth even finish, all around nice looking scope.

After looking it over I dug out a Nikon Tactical 2.5x10x44 and a Zeiss Conquest 6.5x20x50 for a little glass and turret comparisons.

First the turrets. The Nikon and Zeiss both have more audible clicks than the Clearidge, however the Clearidge has the more positive "feeling" of the three, but not to the point that they are hard to turn. The Clearidge and Conquest have a little lower turrets than the Nikon but they are still easy to get a hold of and turn. The side focus on the Clearidge has actual numbers on it instead of the dots that the Nikon has, something that i personally thought was a plus.

For the optical comparisons I set all three scopes at 6.5x(as best I could) then 10x then I compared the Clearidge and the Conquest at 20x, trying to keep things as apples to apples as I could.

Brightness was very good in all three with the Conquest being the best, but you had to pay close attention to notice it as it didn't jump out at you. Between the Nikon and Clearidge I struggled to tell the difference but I think there is a very slight edge for the Clearidge.

Clarity was equally impressive in all three, crisp picture all the way out to the edges. Again the Zeiss was tops but the Clearidge was every bit as good as the Nikon and not all that far behind the Conquest.

Low light ability. Again all three were good enough to take a shot up until and after season would have legally closed out to 250 yds (as far as I can look from home). Again the Conquest was tops but the other two would have done just fine in a hunting situation.

Overall I'm very impressed with the Clearidge, its not a Conquest but at nearly $300 dollars less I really didn't expect it to be. It is however every bit the scope that the Nikon Tactical is and since my 2.5x10 Nikon was $610 three years ago and the 4.5x22.5 Clearidge was $580 to my door, I'm feeling pretty good about the purchase.

Once the rifle this is going on shows up I'll mount it up and test its repeatability, won't get much of a recoil test as its going on a 7-08 but I am looking forward to running it through a box test. If it fails I'll be extremely disappointed, but I don't expect that. As of now I would have to say that the Clearidge definately rates a "10" in the bang for the buck department.

Chris

thank you for the evaluation. i'm glad to hear some feedback on these things. i'm planning a long range carry rifle and this scope looks like it could be my choice. the numbers say it's fairly short and light. does that seem to be the case? does the eye relief change much from one end of the magnification to the other?

It is shorter than anything else I've got except a 4x32 rimfire scope. The eyepiece end is shorter than most but there is still 2.5" behind the turrets an 2" in front of them for ring placement.

If its lighter than most I can't tell, then again I have a hard time telling the difference between an 11 and 12 pound rifle so a few ounces on a scope would be hard for me to distinguish without a scale.

Eye relief seems to remain close to the same from 4.5 all the way to 22.5, not enough difference to notice.

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for posting your review.

Dave,

I think that we do, but have to convince people. The box test should pass with no problems. Lets see how the test comes out.

:)i think i was one of this first ones to have one of these scopes.i bought two 2x12x42's and have one mounted on my .45 caliber custom smokeless muzzleloader.with the loads i'm shooting calculated recoil is 23ftlbs.so it's not extremely heavy but not light either and so far so good with this scope holding true.the optics like chris mentioned are very good and i found the same thing just a tad bit under the conquest.eye relief stays constant thru the mag range which is nice.the clarity is very sharp and low light is like chris pointed out long enough.i had a bushy 2x16x42 before this scope and was very disapointed with the focusing problems at high mag.when i called up tammy looking for a new scope she mentioned to me that they just got some of these scopes in and didn't even have prices for them or manuals but gave me a ball park figure and sent me some pics because they weren't even on the site yet and after hearing all the specs and seeing the pics i said send me 2.i truely love these scopes i think they are a great bang for the buck.jon and tammy thank's for the great service and a great scope.now don't go raising the price's of these scopes when you can't keep them in stock i might need another someday:D.

Ahab, we are getting a lot of great feedback on our new Ultra XP5 scopes. They are competing with some great scopes and holding their own very nicely.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.