Cleaning wood stock rifle

goebs66

What do you guys use on your wood stock rifles? I've heard oil is the worst thing for your wood stocks, then I heard you definitely should use it. Does anyone have any scientific studies or anything that shows what to use on wood stocks? Thanks!

66, for the few I have I often use Murphy's oil-soap when the wife's not looking. It makes the wood floors look so good I use it on stocks also.

Everyone in my family uses a rag with a light amount of hoppes oil. I have 2 guns that belonged to my great grandfather that were cleaned that way for years and they're still beautiful guns. I like the silicon cloth as well. I've gone to that for the few wood stocks I have left in my collection.

What do you guys use on your wood stock rifles? I've heard oil is the worst thing for your wood stocks, then I heard you definitely should use it. Does anyone have any scientific studies or anything that shows what to use on wood stocks? Thanks!
Petroleum oil will eventually ruin wood. Linseed oil or a darivative is the prefered "oil" for wood. Today, most factory stocks have some variation of a 'poly', synthetic coating and a 'wipe-down' with a clean, dry cotton cloth is all that's needed. Those custom "hand rubbed" oil finishes, on custom made wood stocks, are with linseed blended oil (usually has hardeners added). And that's boiled linseed oil as the other type won't dry. As mentioned above, Murphys Oil Soap used sparingly, works well as a 'cleaner' for those stocks made before 'poly' coatings became the norm.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.