cleaning rifle itself?

Sako7STW

How do you all clean your rifles? I know how to do the inside of the barrel obviously but what about the rest? What do you use? How often? Do you use something different for blued vs stainless? Just curios of what different people do.

I am a bit of a clean freak when it comes to my rifles. I clean mine everytime after a shooting session. After cleaning the inside of the barrel, I will take the stock off of the gun and give it a good wipe down with a rust resistant gun cleaner spray like Rem Oil. I use something else besides RemOil but I cant remember the name of it. I just wipe it down with it and put it back together. I also clean the inside of the action real well.

I rotate quite a few guns through the year doing crop damage shooting and dont have the time to throughly clean them after each time i use them and dont really feel its nessisary anyway. After seasons over I usually pull the stocks off of all of them and clean then well. I also dont like pulling the stock off as ive seen in a many cases that it takes a few shots to really settle a gun into its bedding after reasembly.

I'm with Lloyd on the taking the stock off thing. I do that as part of a accuracy work over or deep clean only. The rifle won't settle down quickly enough for me unless it's on a full aluminum chassis. I wipe off the outside with a silicone cloth and clean blood etc. with either glass cleaner or simple green if needed. I use hoppes or similar to get powder fouling off of the outside, then wipe dry immediately.

I am a bit of a clean freak when it comes to my rifles. I clean mine everytime after a shooting session. After cleaning the inside of the barrel, I will take the stock off of the gun and give it a good wipe down with a rust resistant gun cleaner spray like Rem Oil. I use something else besides RemOil but I cant remember the name of it. I just wipe it down with it and put it back together. I also clean the inside of the action real well.

I do this as well, after every hunting season. Just to keep it clean under the stock. I also use Kroil for eaning the bore, and RemOil for cleaning everything else down.

I do this as well, after every hunting season. Just to keep it clean under the stock. I also use Kroil for eaning the bore, and RemOil for cleaning everything else down.

Lol..I meant shooting(hunting) season not session. I love iPhone autocorrect! Would be pretty extreme to clean that every session haha! Sorry about that.

I figured there might be some good differences in what people do. I got out my 1962 Model 70 .264 Westerner the other day and was looking it over. I was shocked at how dirty it was. Terrible on my part. I am ashamed to be honest. My thoughts were to give it a good scrub down inside the barrel with Kroil, remove the stock, and then spray the outside down with some brake cleaner and then oil it down good with Kroil. I wasnt sure if the Kroil might be too much to leave on the gun in storage? I also have Remoil and Butch's gun oil on the shelf as well.

Once this gun is done, then I plan on doing my Sako 7mmSTW and my new to me, .340 Weatherby that is in need of a good hard scrubbbing too. The Weathrby is the Alaskan model with the Nickle coating so I wasn't sure if I needed to do something different for it?

kroil is pretty agressive penetrating oil. I sure its fine for bores and for blued guns but i wouldnt leave it on anything that was plated. I know that it will get under nickle plated guns and eventualy cause damage to the finish. Could be its fine on these new high tech finishes as they may bond better, but i myself wouldnt take that chance.

i rarely clean anything. Every 100 to 150 rounds i give the whole rig a good once over, from scope alignment to the inside of the bolt. I make necessary adj., foul the barrel and re zero. Im not bothered by a little surface rust or paint chipping, If i dont change anything, every miss is my fault and serves as a lesson.

kroil is pretty agressive penetrating oil. I sure its fine for bores and for blued guns but i wouldnt leave it on anything that was plated. I know that it will get under nickle plated guns and eventualy cause damage to the finish. Could be its fine on these new high tech finishes as they may bond better, but i myself wouldnt take that chance.

Thats what I was afraid of.

Sounds like my best bet would be to mix up a bottle of simple green or similar. Give it a good soaking and scrub. Then dry off and give her a good coating of oil and wipe down. reassemble and clean the bore as usual. Put back in safe till the next time I get her out and realize I should be ashamed because it was so dirty, LOL!

Thanks all!!

Kroil is akin to WD40, don't use it on firearms. It's penetrating qualities will find them penetrating everything, to include ammunition that inadvertently comes into contact with it. Given the chance it will penetrate cartridges (OK mostly concealed carry firearms where the cartridges sit in a magazine or cylinder for a long time) however they are not firearms quality lubricants and should not be used. Hearing a loud click when you pull the trigger can be mildly annoying on the range but deadly in a combat situation. Remember..."Only Hits Count," (Maj Lones Wigger United States Army) if the firearm doesn't discharge when the trigger is squeezed you can find yourself in a whole bunch of trouble. o_O

I keep a couple of rags soaked in Ballistol in a mason jar and use to wipe down the whole rifle after it's a field or the range. As the rags dry after use/time, I just pour some more Ballistol in the bottom of jar.