Cleaning question

Supertrucker

When I clean, I will run 3-5 patches soaked with Barnes CR-10 through until the powder fouling comes out. I then scrub with a bronze brush several strokes, adding drops of CR-10 every four or five strokes. I then run a few patches through again soaked with CR-10 to get all the blue out. I will repeat this process two or three times. My question is this:

At the end of my cleaning session, my bronze brush will start to "scream" for lack of a better term. Does this mean I have cleaned it down to metal?? I get no more blue on the patches. And it does not "scream" the first couple of times I do the cleaning session.

That "scream" is the brush being pushed down a very dry bore, just like going down a metal slide and ya bare legs hit it, you get that squeal!I hope that was a good enough example for you.

I get it sometimes when I use Boretech with a bronze brush, hard on the brush, but man it rips the **** out of any fowling quick!!

Nothing to worry about, a copper bullet doing 3000 FPS ish down there will be a lot harder on the barrel than you will ever be,with a bronze brush and a cleaning rod

lightbulbPS And if you dont know what the hell Im on about with the slide please dont go hanging around kids play grounds "honest officer I was only listening for the squeal!!!!!" :D:D I will not be held responsible LOL :D:D

Best regards
300WSMMAD

I don't know. I add more drops of solvent every 3-5 passes or so and it'll "scream" or "screech" even with the first pass with a wet brush.

This not a sound I would want hear while cleaning mine. I do not use a brush in my barrels just the right jag and patch and Bore Tech Eliminator.

This not a sound I would want hear while cleaning mine. I do not use a brush in my barrels just the right jag and patch and Bore Tech Eliminator.

Just about every gunsmith and barrel manuf. worth their salt will tell you to use a bronze brush if you want to remove all copper fouling.

That's a great read. Seems the opinions are all over the board. I've got one of those barrels that will clean up with four or five wet patches. That Hollands Witches Brew is great stuff. My 7STW gets a real rough spot about 3 inches ahead of the throat and the WB gets it out of there and smooth again.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.