Cleaning products outside of rifle?

goebs66

After searching this forum with all the cleaning/lubricating products I intend to use, nothing has came up with solid info. In fact, I can't find anything on this website about cleaning the outside of a rifle, only the bore. Is this not important to owning a rifle?? Well, onto my question, I've heard about Breakfree CLP is the best, others say its complete ****. Then people did field tests and FrogLube came out on top of every list, but then people say its not a cleaner, only a lubricator/protector... My OCD is going through the roof trying to find something proven that is good to wipe down a gun after. Seems every thing out there has something bad with it.

Last edited:
Are you cleaning stock, scope, barrel, action ?????
You certainly wouldn't use the same cleaner for all those parts of the rifle.
I simply wipe down the metal exterior parts of my rifles with a rag "contaminated" with Kroil. It's been used for so long that I rarely have to add any oil to it. After wiping down with Kroil I finish with a soft cotton cloth (old cotton t-shirts work well).
I clean the stock with Zymol, an auto paint cleaner/polish.
I avoid using cleaners of any kind on the scope. Wouldn't want penetrating oils or other products getting into the guts of that expensive piece of equipment. I simply use a dampened rag to remove any crud and then do the dry rag wipe down for scope.

Are you cleaning stock, scope, barrel, action ?????
You certainly wouldn't use the same cleaner for all those parts of the rifle.
I simply wipe down the metal exterior parts of my rifles with a rag "contaminated" with Kroil. It's been used for so long that I rarely have to add any oil to it. After wiping down with Kroil I finish with a soft cotton cloth (old cotton t-shirts work well).
I clean the stock with Zymol, an auto paint cleaner/polish.
I avoid using cleaners of any kind on the scope. Wouldn't want penetrating oils or other products getting into the guts of that expensive piece of equipment. I simply use a dampened rag to remove any crud and then do the dry rag wipe down for scope.

What do I need to clean? I thought you only need to wipe down metal exterior parts after handling/shooting? And the occasional once a year bolt clean.

What do I need to clean? I thought you only need to wipe down metal exterior parts after handling/shooting? And the occasional once a year bolt clean.

IMO we need to focus more on "when" to clean it rather than "what" to clean it with. Keeping a rifle clean can mean anything from wiping it down after each use to taking it out of the gun safe and wiping it down once or twice a year.
My hands are "death" to gun finishes; especially blued finishes. If I hold a rifle or pistol by it's metal parts without gloves I must wipe it down with something that will remove the deposited finger prints/hand prints or it'll rust within 24 hours time. That's not common, but it's something to keep in mind. There are a few guns out there that have my fingerprints engraved in their blued finishes, showing up as rust colored swirls.
There aren't any perfect answers that meet the need of every rifle handled by every shooter. Depending on the environment, you can leave a rifle inside a safe, under your bed, or in a cabinet for years with no ill effects. But where uncontrolled high humidity is a factor, if you fail to inspect and clean it periodically you will find yourself looking for a gunsmith that does refinishing work.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.