Cleaning Process

I'm gonna quit cleaning. This is after 100 hammers, 81.7gr rl25. Carbon on left and run thru the brake, copper on the right.

IMG_4297.JPG

Just looking to get some input. Are you guys cleaning often or after a few hundred rounds?

I have a "work related" bolt gun we clean around every 200 rounds, and I've cleaned a personal one after every range session….thinking I might change to to the "every 200 round" practice.

Any thoughts?
I use a boroscope to manage cleanliness of my barrel. Without taking a real look inside, there is very little one can tell by just pushing things down the barrel and seeing what they look like after coming out. Once you know what your bore really looks like it will probably change your strategy.

I guess I am somewhat of a cleaning freak, cleaning after every time out on the range but not when I am hunting. First and/or second round fliers are not uncommon out of a freshly cleaned barrel so when doing the final cleaning before deer season I usually fire a couple of rounds to dry out the barrel ie; burn off any oil residue. Once this is done don't clean until after the season is over or I'm done hunting unless caught in rain or snow. Then clean the rifle regardless. It's much too easy for rust to start when a dry barrel is exposed to damp conditions.

A couple of other tricks I have tried along the way that seem to work. If you don't have an opportunity of shoot any fouling shots before heading out hunting if you prime two or three empty cases then pointing the rifle in a safe direction fire the empty cartridge. The force of the flame of the primer will burn any traces of oil out of the barrel giving you a fouled barrel to shoot. I usually do three primer only fouling shots and have found that after that the first shot out of the barrel fires straight and true. Another simple but effective way to keep the bore dry in inclement weather is to stretch a kids balloon over the muzzle of the rifle or shotgun. It seals out rain and snow and when fired the air blown out the muzzle before the bullet blow the balloon out of the way of the oncoming bullet. I have not notice any decrease in accuracy when using this method of keeping the bore dry.

One more thing to ponder for those of you who do not clean the rifle on a regular basis. The fouling you are so fond of has a tendency to attract moisture which in turn causes rust in the barrel. Ever since I invested in a bore scope I make it an important point of my cleaning to get rid of the powder/primer residue after shooting. One thing that most people ignore it copper fouling. The build up of copper withing the bore can gradually decrease accuracy. After checking the bores of all of my rifles I found traces to substantial build ups of copper necessitating copper removal prior to a regular cleaning.

A clean and well lubricated firearm is a happy firearm.

Teri Anne ;)

What exactly do you mean by "work related"… Law Enforcement? Military? Or shooting coyotes and raccoons off the chicken farm?
If this is a weapon that I have to pull out and deliver as accurate a shot as possible when lives are on the line I don't want it's precision going to crap at the wrong moment. There is no "wait till the groups open up". You need to know what that rifle will do when cold, clean, clean-cold, fouled, ran hot, suppressed/unsuppressed, etc. Not any offense meant to the clean when groups open up crowd as I am rather lazy when it comes to cleaning most of my firearms and do the same, go shoot and wipe it down.

I clean after every trip to the range. While shooting prairie dogs I clean every 20-30 rounds depending on which cartridge I'm shooting. .22-250's get hot and dirty pretty quick. .223's and .17 Hornet take a little longer.
I always use a Possom Hollow bore guide, Bore Tech solvents, and bronze brushes for cleaning.

When I did not keep them clean somebody yelled at me. I clean them after every use & inspect everything with special attention to bore. Incursions of coyotes and raccoons may occur at any time. No set rule on number of rounds, depends on caliber & frequency.

I tried the "not clean" a rifle thing and it sat for about 6 months in the safe. Pushed a patch through and it came out orange...Don't do that anymore. I clean mine. That said I map my cold/clean, cold/dirty, etc. to know the condition/predict first round impacts and then foul them for hunting season.

Living in Florida, I wouldn't let it sit long before shooting/cleaning it again. I think the "don't clean it" camp shoots often enough that it doesn't affect it. Carbon is like a magnet to moisture in your bore. Dry air probably get away with it longer. My Virginia air likes to turn metal orange.

I read a pretty interesting article Frank Green of Bartlien barrels wrote on guys who didn't clean there barrels untill 100- 200 rounds, let's say he was not a fan at all.
Another thing to keep in mind try cleaning that carbon ring after 100- 200 rounds compared to 50, I choose not simply because I dont like using aggressive methods if I can stay away from it.
I do treat my LR hunting rifles different than my sage rat 17- 20 cals though.

Carbon is an abrasive. So, you spend how much on a good barrel plus installation and don't keep it clean? Mine get cleaned after 25-50 rounds or at the end of every range session....whichever comes first. Never ever, ever do I put a gun away dirty. But that's just me.