Cleaning Nightforce lens w/windex?

trader388

I've seen a lot of discussion on cleaning lens. But the coatings vary from manufacture to manufacture. Talking to nightforce the guy said I could use windex if I wanted because the coatings were so tough? Now I just dont know if I want to use windex on a $1200 scope.
grin.gif
I'm thinking of just going to the local camera shop and picking up a lens cleaning kit.

Experiences, thoughts, opinions?

[ 04-07-2004: Message edited by: trader388 ]

trader, From what I've heard, windex is harmful to most coatings, like I've said in other posts, burris says to use acetone, pharmacutical grade, do not use fingernail polish remover, pure acetone, I use eye glass cleaner, myself, I'll use acetone if I've got some stubborn crap on the lenses, Jay

Interesting... I asked the guy at nightforce about acetone and he thought that was a bit extreme. Maybe I should call back and see if I get a different person to talk to.

When I talked to Jeff Huber at Nightforce about lens cleaning he told me the best thing to use on NF lenses is MEK.
He also told me the same thing, that NF lenses have very durable multiple coatings that resist much more abuse than all the other manufacturer's lense coatings.
I have not had the need to clean my lenses as of yet. I just wanted to get someones professional opinion at NightForce.

MEK Methyl ethyl ketone

Nasty stuff, can cause all kinds of health problems. Use only in a WELL ventilated area, and if anyone in the house is pregnant, don't use it at all.

Personally, I don't care how tough the coatings are supposed to be, I treat all my scopes like I do my camera lenses. I use only lens cleaning liquid, or a lens pen, depending on whats on the lens.

huntin1

Yes,
As huntin1 stated: METHYL ETHYL KETONE.
It is a solvent that has many uses. Just do a search to get a good description of what it is used for.
I use to use it for degreasing aircraft parts when I was a helicopter mechanic in the ARMY. It is very nasty for your health. I had to wear a respirator and rubber gloves in a well ventilated room when I used it.
The reason Jeff Huber told me that it works well is because it evaporates leaving the lense spotless and that it will not harm the lenses because NF's coatings are very tough and durable.
I talked to Jeff Huber 2 years ago. If you want to use it I would phone NF and see if they are still recomending the use of MEK for cleaning lenses before you try it.
But it is still a hazardous chemical. You do not want to inhale MEK.
If you do use it, use it outside in a light breeze holding the rifle/scope downwind so you do not inhale it.
And as huntin1 was saying make sure no one is pregnant when this stuff is being used.
I have always been told that autobody shops usually stock MEK. You can probably find it at a paint store also.

I have also been advised to use Acetone, and apply it with lint free swabs.

Water on coatings is not recommended, even for Night Force scopes, in my opinion. But then I have never owned Night Force, so what do I know.

For everyone else, stay away from water based cleaners and abrasive materials on your lenses.

I also recommend the use of lens covers on your scopes when not in use or if they are being stored. This will cut down on the accumulation of dust.

D.
smile.gif

[ 04-09-2004: Message edited by: DMCI ]

I have found a really neat product that works well for me in getting my scope lenses sparkling. It is made by Zeiss and I bought mine at Sam's Wholesale Club. They are pre-moistened lens cloths that are dispensed from the box one packet at a time. The instructions state that it works extremely well for anti-reflective multi-layer coatings such as Zeiss rifle scopes. This product is ammonia free and comes 90 cloths to a box. A very handy item for the field. The price is very reasonable as well.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts