Cleaning method for a sharp square crown

Kooz7

Hope to get some advice here from the experts on cleaning please. I just had a rifle re-barreled and noticed that the crown is razor sharp/square . I have never had a barrel crowned like this before , so thought I would ask how you guys clean your barrels in a way to ensure that this type of crown does not get damaged . I assume plastic brushes only and being careful not to over extend the rod out of the muzzle so as not to drag the rod against the crown . Any other advise would be appreciated . Thanks

Can bet the reason for the square crown, no need to get bore precisely centered in lathe. Even if not true a tool bit passing across end of barrel will make a perfect 90 degree crown.

Square edge should not be an issue. If a plastic coated cleaning rod is used I see no reason for worrying about rod bumping into the edge. Now pulling a bore brush rearward would be another story.

I called the builder when I noticed how the crown was cut and asked about it , and he assured me that it was normal and is how they prefer to cut them for best accuracy . I would assume that pulling the brush back through would be ok if I am using plastic/nylon brush ?

Last edited:
I would not pull a brush back through on any crown, period! The rod is laying on the edge of crown then brush has to center itself as it is pulled rearward, cannot be good for crown especially as brush will have carbon on it from the first forward movement. Never liked bore brushes would rather use a non embedding compound like Rem 40X or JB bore paste on tight patch to loosen and remove carbon buildup.

morning, I have suggested a product used to clean carbretors sp.
on outboard motors. quicksilver carb. cleaner. a person puts
a q tip in the front of the barrel. take the bolt out of the action.
fill the barrel action and bore full of the cleaner. the cleaner is
oil based, has a cleaner to loosen and remove carbon. I have
been cleaning the bore and action for 30yrs. with this
method. I learned this from an older gentleman many
years ago. then I pull a boresnake thru the barrel 3 or 4 times.
NOW with repeated fulling the bore with cleaner
I can see the carbon and metal filings
in the bowl I put at the end of the barrel to catch the residue
from the barrel. that way in can see the progress.
justme gbot tum

Not sure why people worry about pulling the brush back thru when we are firing copper jacket bullets with a huge flame and thousands of degrees of heat over the same crown.

I use a qtip with cleaner thru the side ports of my brake. I don't remove the brake cause I don't want to mess with harmonics.

If you have a magnifying glass, can you look to see if the sharp edge has been 'broken', if it has, all good, if it hasn't, any burr left can cause accuracy issues.
I have found an 11° target type crown works well.
In fact, I have tried several differing angles, but all have been broken with a 45° bit.

Cheers.

The sharp edge is definitely not broken as I cut a perfect .30 cal circle in the end of my finger when I felt the end of the barrel . I am going to have to get a proper crown cut on it . Not really sure what to think about the answer I got from the builder, but there is no way a flat crown is a good idea on a hunting rifle nor is it necessary for good accuracy .

Most guys break the edge with some emory cloth (I use 600grit) real quick, but I won't question his technique if it works for him. That said, I haven't heard of guys leaving razor sharp edges on anything barrel related

It's completely flat, no recess at all? I would get a new crown cut by a new smith.

As far as using brushes and all the hooplah about how more barrels are damaged by improper cleaning than barrels shot out is bull.

Joe S

It's completely flat, no recess at all? I would get a new crown cut by a new smith.

As far as using brushes and all the hooplah about how more barrels are damaged by improper cleaning than barrels shot out is bull.

Joe S
It isn't bull according to barrel manufacturers:) Shape of crown doesn't matter if it is square. Top br builders have different crown methods and all work.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts