Cleaning both directions ?

the blur

Generally speaking, do you scrub your brass brushes, patches both directions, back & forth, back & forth ? or just down the bore, and remove the patch or brush, and start over from the breach?

back and forth for me. Let's think about this. You're shooting a bullet at somethinghundred feet per second with no lube down a steel barrel. Do you really think that brushing that barrel in the opposite direction is more damaging? Patching is only done one way as the patch comes off when you push it out the muzzle and try to reverse. But then again, if you're using bronze brushes and copper remover and depending on the blue color to tell you when it's clean.........

Generally speaking, do you scrub your brass brushes, patches both directions, back & forth, back & forth ? or just down the bore, and remove the patch or brush, and start over from the breach?
Patches & brushes, both directions. Over the long term I've never seen any damage or deterioration of accuracy from either.
I won't believe that my wet bronze brush is harder on my rifling then a scalding-hot bullet & gases going through my barrel at warp 8.

Both ways with a bronze brush.

Anybody else use a stiff nylon brush and a cordless drill and bore tech carbon cleaner to combat the carbon ring???

Anybody else plug their muzzle and fill the barrel up with butches or shooters choice and let soak for a couple hours?

c4 and a bronze brush works for me on rings

i use nylon brushes for burnishing carbon in case necks.

I think people make cleaning too complicated, 47 patches 4 compounds, one direction, spin in circles 3 times and say hail mary. Meh.

Edit* I could see filing up a barrel with something and letting it soak, but considering I can barely remember where I left my pants it's probably not for me 🤪

Last edited by a moderator:
Rarely use a brush any more as well. Solvents and patches. Brushes reserved for problems, not normal cleaning.

I doubt that you're going to do damage to the bore itself pulling a brush muzzle to breach, but why risk it? I view it as like trying to cut wood going against the grain.
That said, the real issue with pulling anything back from the muzzle is alignment at the start. Some rifles can't easily be cleaned from the breach (M1A/M14's & Garand's come to mind), note the special tool used on those to avoid wearing the crown eccentrically. The difference between a good crown and a bad one can be pretty tiny. If you're going to clean muzzle to breach then use one of those tools.

I never drag anything back across the crown as it's not necessary and can be damaging. Numerous barrel makers also recommend against doing it due to chance of damaging the crown. With the quality cleaning chemicals available I find myself not working as hard to clean any of my bolt rifles anymore.

With regards to cleaning a carbon ring out I use a .410 or 20 gauge bore mop and let it soak a bit and then work on it. Usually does the trick very quick.

I never drag anything back across the crown as it's not necessary and can be damaging. Numerous barrel makers also recommend against doing it due to chance of damaging the crown. With the quality cleaning chemicals available I find myself not working as hard to clean any of my bolt rifles anymore.

With regards to cleaning a carbon ring out I use a .410 or 20 gauge bore mop and let it soak a bit and then work on it. Usually does the trick very quick.
Are you saying that a nylon brush can damage a stainless steel barrel crown?