Cleaning bores/damage??

giladad1

Is it really possible to damage your guns bore by cleaning too aggresively, especially if you are using a bore guide?? If so, what precautions should I take?? M H

Also use coated ,straight rods so they will not touch the barrel.

I just recently handlapped a Marlin 1895. Shines like a mirror,never shot this good.

Anyone used a montana x-treme nylon brush? Or is there a better nylon brush out there?
h

One way to damage a bore is to use a bore brush that is harder then the barrel metal. That is why we almost never use Stainless bore brushes. With nylon or brass brushes, it is impossible to damage the bore unless you are running metal shaving or sand in with the brush.

As long as you keep your gear clean and use a bore guide, it is pretty much impossible to damage a bore using contemporary cleaners and cleaning equipment.

If you are experiencing heavy fouling, try strong cleaners like Barnes CR10. If your bore is rough, consider hand lapping with JB non embedding compound or their lapping rouge.

If instructions are followed, you can't damage your barrel. Remember that no matter how much effort you put behind that rod, you will never equal the 50,000PSI of burning powder and moving bullet.

Hope that puts things in perspective...

Jerry

I have used the Kleen-Bore nylon brushes, very stiff, work well. Never used the montana brush.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.