Cleaning bolt lug recess

Never said dry, said finger dampened w/Mobil One.
Proper heat treating avoids most galling problems.
Avoiding too hot loads will also prevent it.
In he several dozen Krags and early 03s I own/have owned, none ever galled as the surfaces were properly hardened. None ever blew up or had cracked lugs that has been gunwriter lore for decades. Second only to Ross myths.

Case hardened actions or nitrided actions wont gall. Your standard heat treated actions will. That goes for 700s, Savages, and most customs. But, your exactly right, if you harden the surface or coat it with something like PVD you can pretty much eliminate any chance of galling. Most of the time a gall happens when you force the bolt closed on a tight case. Very rarely does it happen opening the bolt on a hot load.

Hi can anyone tell me if there is a way to clean the bolt lug recess if you do not have the probeer tools? Non of my locals gun shops seem to have lug recess and chamber cleaning tools. I wanted to order j dewey tools online but they charge 121$ for the cheapest shipping option to where I live. That is 5 times the price of the kit I wanted to buy and I don't want to pay that much for shipping. So if anyone can give me any tips on how to diy it or use existing cleaning rods I'd appreciate it.

"IF" you have a shotgun cleaning kit (nylon brush), give her a try.

Case hardened actions or nitrided actions wont gall. Your standard heat treated actions will. That goes for 700s, Savages, and most customs. But, your exactly right, if you harden the surface or coat it with something like PVD you can pretty much eliminate any chance of galling. Most of the time a gall happens when you force the bolt closed on a tight case. Very rarely does it happen opening the bolt on a hot load.
Learned something I always thought it was from stiff bolt lift seen a guy one time beat his bolt open with a piece of two by four 3 times in a row because of a primer change. Thanks. David

These are about $10 at Dewey, don't know about shipping to Namibia. I probably have an extra laying around. If I wasn't having to redo my security clearance, I'd just send you one. They get suspicious about foreign contacts.
Thanks for considering it. Yeah they said the cheapest option the can offer me is 121 u$ for shipping

1. Remove action from stock
2. Remove bolt
3. Remove trigger assembly
4. Soak action 12 hours in Acetone
5. Blow out w/high pressure air
6. Unless you are a rapid fire match shooter, stop lubing lugs. You will never wear them out.
7. If "lube you must", a finger dampened with Mobil One on the rear side of the lugs is all you need.
Didn't know it wasn't necessary to lube the lugs

It depends on your application and the heat treatment of your lugs and receiver.

If you hunt in a dry dusty windy place the lube will pick up grit and do far more damage than running it dry.

It depends on your application and the heat treatment of your lugs and receiver.

If you hunt in a dry dusty windy place the lube will pick up grit and do far more damage than running it dry.
I dont know much about that so I don't know what remington 700 has

I have been using a patch with solvent and I ha e a pick set that has picks at different angles found the one that work best and just smoothed end of because it was sharp and work the patch around then dry it out with another clean patch. And blow it out in case there is patch material in there. I also use a bore scope so I can see if there is anything in there.

I have been using a patch with solvent and I ha e a pick set that has picks at different angles found the one that work best and just smoothed end of because it was sharp and work the patch around then dry it out with another clean patch. And blow it out in case there is patch material in there. I also use a bore scope so I can see if there is anything in there.
I have always cleaned my rifles and shotguns after using
If they get rained upon stand them in the corner until they come to room temperature and then clean and oil
Never had a problem in 50 years
Look after them and they will look after you

For years, I used a drop of Hoppes #9, on each lug after cleaning. Then I went with Rem Oil . Lately, I have switched to Daryl Holland's Shooters Lube. All of these have served well.
I believe the trick is to get some lube that is properly designated for the purpose on the lugs, and bolt cocking cam.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.