Cleaning bolt lug recess

Hi can anyone tell me if there is a way to clean the bolt lug recess if you do not have the probeer tools? Non of my locals gun shops seem to have lug recess and chamber cleaning tools. I wanted to order j dewey tools online but they charge 121$ for the cheapest shipping option to where I live. That is 5 times the price of the kit I wanted to buy and I don't want to pay that much for shipping. So if anyone can give me any tips on how to diy it or use existing cleaning rods I'd appreciate it.
Try Sinclair/Brownell's. They have a tool for it that uses the firm cotton rolls that your dentist uses to hold your cheek away from your teeth. This will get most of the real grime out of the lug recesses. You can cut the length of a roll to fit the diameter of any rifle.

Hi can anyone tell me if there is a way to clean the bolt lug recess if you do not have the probeer tools? Non of my locals gun shops seem to have lug recess and chamber cleaning tools. I wanted to order j dewey tools online but they charge 121$ for the cheapest shipping option to where I live. That is 5 times the price of the kit I wanted to buy and I don't want to pay that much for shipping. So if anyone can give me any tips on how to diy it or use existing cleaning rods I'd appreciate it.
Namib, You received some great suggestions including what about eBay. I have the Dewey lug recess cleaner and I will give it 5 stars for the right tool for the job. The skewer suggestion is pretty close to the right tool :) Baraka rafiki

If you can find them the wool applicators that are used for leather dye work great. You can bend them to get the angle that works best. Can also wrap with patches or clean cloth as needed.

Attachments

• C7C57D13-AC64-48BC-921E-0DCE7885B160.jpeg
    C7C57D13-AC64-48BC-921E-0DCE7885B160.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 61
Don't know if you have access to it, but the dental cotton rolls are available on Amazon. That is where I get 'em. Many sizes . The non sterile seem to be the cheapest .

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07BMKJXJZ/?tag=lrhmag19-20

For a holder, Amazon has a 24" stainless steel forceps/hemostat that I think would work to grip the rolls securely and with care not do harm to the receiver. Maybe split a piece of hose and slip over the forceps after the roll is in place. There are shorter lengths too.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N09JZR5/?tag=lrhmag19-20

In lieu of Amazon, try a medical supply house, or make a deal with a doctor or dentist.

I must be a dinosaur cuz I have a S&W 686 lol. And I still use a nylon brush along with my pinky finger.

And......I still use Popsicle sticks and Flitz metal cleaner to clean the lead off the front of the cylinder!! Saved them from the dinosaurs. The only revolver that I own today is a S&W 340PD, and......it's not a real treasure to shoot so it doesn't have to be cleaned too often!!

And......I still use Popsicle sticks and Flitz metal cleaner to clean the lead off the front of the cylinder!! Saved them from the dinosaurs. The only revolver that I own today is a S&W 340PD, and......it's not a real treasure to shoot so it doesn't have to be cleaned too often!!
For snakes of all kinds and such. Sorry for the hijack.
1594163342970.png

These are about $10 at Dewey, don't know about shipping to Namibia. I probably have an extra laying around. If I wasn't having to redo my security clearance, I'd just send you one. They get suspicious about foreign contacts.

Attachments

• 5D4FA92F-A914-4BA4-B40B-94E80035B0BE.jpeg
    5D4FA92F-A914-4BA4-B40B-94E80035B0BE.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 51
I'd just wash it out and be done with it. You can filter the spent solvent through a coffee filter and re-use it. Wad up some tissue paper in a shotgun needle eye patch to finish the job. Keep your bolt face clean by wiping it with a kleenex and a bit of Ronsonol and there should be no worries about brass shavings.

Take a used bore brush and bend it 90 at the end about 1/2" long, wrap it with a cotton patch. put it on the end of your cleaning rod and spin it, think of it as an L shape and it will click in your mind.

I use the dewey tool like Bravo 4 just posted. But before I had that I used old bore brushed and bent them like I described above.

Bent Q-tips

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.