Cleaning bolt lug recess

Namibguy

Hi can anyone tell me if there is a way to clean the bolt lug recess if you do not have the probeer tools? Non of my locals gun shops seem to have lug recess and chamber cleaning tools. I wanted to order j dewey tools online but they charge 121$ for the cheapest shipping option to where I live. That is 5 times the price of the kit I wanted to buy and I don't want to pay that much for shipping. So if anyone can give me any tips on how to diy it or use existing cleaning rods I'd appreciate it.

I got a the Tipton kit from midway. But most of the time I use a US issue plastic brush, a stick wrapped with a rag, or my finger with a rag.

If you have a cleaning rag for a shotgun that you have over used or never used.....
Bend it about half way down the rag...make sure it has a circular form..push it into the lug area and run it around inside a few times.....it will soak up the oils and grab the crud....but it may leave a few fuzzies in there caught on the sharp edges....can take a can of air and blow them out...or a compressor.....
They also work excellent for drying out the chamber area..but don't use an oil soaked...use a clean one....

If you have a cleaning rag for a shotgun that you have over used or never used.....
Bend it about half way down the rag...make sure it has a circular form..push it into the lug area and run it around inside a few times.....it will soak up the oils and grab the crud....but it may leave a few fuzzies in there caught on the sharp edges....can take a can of air and blow them out...or a compressor.....
They also work excellent for drying out the chamber area..but don't use an oil soaked...use a clean one....
Thanks for the idea

I use my pinky fingers, mostly my left one. Same way I physically chamber check.

26Reload's idea is good also. The tools like the Tipton work well. I saw other tools on Midway that were in the 20-30 dollar range. Not sure of the availability in your area. I've also used those chamber brushes with the big steel bristles for the lug area. That and 26 Reload's idea will probably work just fine.

I use a patch with a needle eye tip like is shown in the pic and work it around the lug recesses. I'm mostly concerned about removing the lube I use to lube the lugs with. One could also bend the tip of the bore mop and use that and even wet it with some Ronsonol lighter fluid. You can wash the mops and re-use them. Get them wet and work in a couple drops of dish detergent. Rinse well and dry.

ZDOBZ9l.jpg

Last edited:
I have been using a bamboo skewer that I split the blunt end. Wrap some electrical tape about 1 1/2" inch from the end to prevent it from splitting. I then take a couple square patches and fold in thirds and wedge into the split. With this I can easily slide it down the bolt ways and spin in the lug recesses.

I have been using a bamboo skewer that I split the blunt end. Wrap some electrical tape about 1 1/2" inch from the end to prevent it from splitting. I then take a couple square patches and fold in thirds and wedge into the split. With this I can easily slide it down the bolt ways and spin in the lug recesses.
That's a cool temporary option. Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.