Cleaning a rusty bore

Waynzee

I picked up a T/C Renegade 50 cal. flintlock and it has a rusty bore, it's not real bad just turns the cleaning patch reddish brown. So, I sent for some Iosso paste to run down the bore and see if I can clean it up. Anybody have any other suggestions?

With the bore in the kind of shape you posted, I would consider pulling the flash hole liner, and the breech plug. If the barrel is in that bad shape you may have rust damage to the threads in the barrel and threads on the breech plug.
If the breech plug and barrel threads have been damaged by rust it could be dangerous.
Kano-Kroil. and 0000 steel wool would be a good start.
I would leave the breech plug out till I got the barrel in shape.
You may have to pour a lap in the barrel and work serious on the bore.
If you are going to shoot some saboted bullets may not be to bad.
If you are going to use round ball and patch. The bore will have to be in good shape or it will tear the patch and accuracy will suffer.

I have a Traditions with a somewhat rusty bore that cleaned up fairly well. Still had some rust but shot very well with round balls.

Thanks guys, I tried some Butches Bore Shine and 000 steel wool as that's what I had on hand. Followed that with a clean patch and still got a little red on the patch. So, I got the Iosso paste and proceeded to use it, about 70 patches later and half a tube of Iosso I'm getting what seems to be black tar like stuff coming out on the patches. So I'm thinking that the guy who owned this MZL before me used Bore Butter and never cleaned it with nothing but Bore Butter. Any thoughts?

Bore Butter is okay to coat the bore after cleaning but not in place of cleaning. Now I use CLP to coat the bore after cleaning. Is a good rust preventative for storage

zee, IOSSO will never not be black on the patch, but it does a good job on rust etc. Clean well after the IOSSO and if possible check the bore with a borescope. Good luck

zee, IOSSO will never not be black on the patch, but it does a good job on rust etc. Clean well after the IOSSO and if possible check the bore with a borescope. Good luck

Thanks Dosh, first time I've used Iosso so I didn't know what to look for.

Thanks fellas for the replys, just an update, I got all the rust out but the bore is dark and I doubt I'll ever get it bare metal shiny clean. I took it to the range today and with 85 grs. 3 f Goex black powder and a patched .490 round ball at 50 yards it's putting em just about in the same hole dead center in a 3'' target. So, good enough.

If you are using black powder use boiling soapy water to start with.The hotter the better because once you stop swabbing the barrel it dries so fast the barrel wont rust

Hot water and soap. Run the water till you have to hold the hot barrel with a rag. Let the barrel dry then oil. Old WD40 is not good for muzzle loader barrels. When I competed in the 1970's. I used WD 40 it took 6 or 8 shots to get the clean barrel to settle in. An old man told me to just us 30 w motor oil. In 2 shots I was ready to compete in a match.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.