Cleaned out my Uncles reloading Room that passed away at 90

I'm still shooting 4831 and 4895 WW2 surplus powder that my dad bought from Hodgdon back in the day. Dad used to get 50 lb kegs for about $.50/lb. I think that's how Hodgdon got started, by selling military surplus powder. Occasionally they would throw in a 1000 primers! Now I see people paying over $200/lb for Retumbo on GunBroker. I just paid $100/lb and I bet dad is rolling over in his grave. Our powders have always been stored in air tight containers. If there is any discoloration, streaking color, or lumping, I'd dump it. I'd also certainly start at minimum loads and look for pressure. Nobody is going to tell you its OK. None of us can know for sure. Just sharing my experience with old powder. Good luck!
Thanks, I came across a box of box of Hodgens 3031 that was in paper 1# bags, 12 to the box, original, Once I received it I put it in with my metal powder cans, mistake, it started going bad had to throw it out. WISH I'd taken pictures of it first.

Thought you might like to see the load data that was on 3 of the cans
DSCN2335.JPG
DSCN2336.JPG
DSCN2338.JPG

It's great to see this thread. I got some old reloading equipment, dies, powder, bullets, etc. from a friend of a friend that died. Some old die companies I've never heard of. Some old powder cans . Some opened some not. The price tags like you mention WyoWind blew me away. Same on bullet boxes. I bought some nice old guns from the widow also. One was a like new S&W Highway Patrolman 357. Had box, unopened tools. Price tag from 1975 Gun shop in Cheyenne for $173.00! About powders, I was trying to find a collector around here with no luck . I had of few old H4831 cans also. One unopened . I'll try to post some pics later of powders.

Last edited:
I still have and use some Hodgdon H110 in the rectangular cardboard 1 lb. cans. If it is stored in a conditioned area in the original container all of it's life it will last a long time.

PLEASE have those load charts protected and framed. Do Not store them where sunlight can hit them. I'm getting older and that kind of stuff is precious! I also have some old cardboard and metal 1 ib. containers. Just saying....

we are lucky that the environment is no problem here in the Left wing Un republic state of California ,no humidity. those powder cans were in my uncles garage for alot of years and their is no rust on them. There are alot of a little newer cans that I will probably use.
Why don't you email Dupont and ask if they can tell you when those cans were filled?

PLEASE have those load charts protected and framed. Do Not store them where sunlight can hit them. I'm getting older and that kind of stuff is precious! I also have some old cardboard and metal 1 ib. containers. Just saying....
I'm no spring chicken either,(72). I'm just going to put a shelf up either in my office here in the house (I'll tell the wife that they are empty) or in my reloading room out in the garage.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.