Cleaned out my Uncles reloading Room that passed away at 90

Awsome but I would have to go with some of the other guys, they need to be on display there may even be worth a good price to a collector, may want to show and see what you come up with. Absolute great find .

I'm still shooting 4831 and 4895 WW2 surplus powder that my dad bought from Hodgdon back in the day. Dad used to get 50 lb kegs for about $.50/lb. I think that's how Hodgdon got started, by selling military surplus powder. Occasionally they would throw in a 1000 primers! Now I see people paying over $200/lb for Retumbo on GunBroker. I just paid $100/lb and I bet dad is rolling over in his grave. Our powders have always been stored in air tight containers. If there is any discoloration, streaking color, or lumping, I'd dump it. I'd also certainly start at minimum loads and look for pressure. Nobody is going to tell you its OK. None of us can know for sure. Just sharing my experience with old powder. Good luck!

I bet they are still good to go. I am sure if you looked at the powder you would know if it's not good. But I would only use in an emergency powder shortage.. lol.. Because they are to awesome to use, I'd keep them on a shelf in my reloading room for my buddies to drool over!!
Yup....what TVARDEN SAID! But if you really want to use it...just load 1 bullet first!

Unless it is the EOTW scenario or Zombie apocalypse, please do not open and use. Keep them in a controlled environment to keep the cans from rusting, especially the bottoms, and you have a rare collection.
we are lucky that the environment is no problem here in the Left wing Un republic state of California ,no humidity. those powder cans were in my uncles garage for alot of years and their is no rust on them. There are alot of a little newer cans that I will probably use.

I feel like a jerk, for not saying this before...

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your uncle. I hope he fulfilled his life's dreams.

JM
Yes he pretty much did. Owned and flew his own planes as I also do, I'm the 3rd generation Pilot and my son's are the 4th, waiting for my grandson that's 21 to start flying when he gets some time from college. We came from an aviation minded family. His father and my Grandfather both flew in the 20's and thirtys. He Had a fantastic Gun collection, unfortunately his family thought they were going to do better than selling his collection off by them selves and decided to have Heritage Auctions in Texas sell it for them. Heritage took 25% and the guns sold mostly below what they could have got for them by selling them here at home.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts