Clean brass vs dirty brass

Keep In mind that subtle changes in accuracy are hard to measure, because we have good days and bad days at the range. The best way to measure is a good chronograph that doesn't know if you clean the barrel or brass and just measures the BC's, ES's and velocity or any changes from the first good load you found.

A periodic check with your chronograph will tell you many things if you keep good records and if changes are made, the results of these changes.

I use my chronographs for many things besides just velocity and SD's. Its a wonderful tool if used to the maximum and I am always finding new effects of changes with mine.

Just a though

J E CUSTOM

I used to clean my brass with a stainless steel media with water, soap and lemishine in a tumbler.

For a while Now, I have stopped cleaning the inside of my brass and just clean the outside of my brass with 0000 steel wool. Doesn't seem to affect anything that I can tell. I do brush out the inside of the neck to break up some of the carbon which helps with bullet seating and I also clean out the primer pockets. I just shot this group at 100 yards today with my rifle so the accuracy is not affected at all.

View attachment 196357
I think you shot that from 10 yds. Just kidding .Nice group !

I tumble mine after de-priming, then I size the case. FInish with an ultrasonic to get lube off and ensure clean primer pocket. Works for me.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is what matters, If it works for ya......... Stick with it, the are a million ways to do it, on a side note my process is thre same a Savage 12BVSS but i did do a test awhile ago where I didn't clean anything, I mean nothing and I never saw any change in 5 loading's

If not addressed in another way, squeaky clean cases can cause problems with the bullet cold welding to the case neck. This alone is worth keeping the carbon inside the neck.

Standard tumbling in whatever media you choose works fine to keep the case exterior looking nice.

When I first started to reload I only cleaned the cases to make sure that there was no dirt or grit to getting in to my dies. I did this with a mild cleaner and a rag. I had excellent groups when shooting. Now I clean for looks and to make sure the inside of my dies don't get mucked up. I use a vibratory cleaner with corn cob media and a little brass cleaner.

Just a comment from a gun smithing point about cleaning or not.

A clean barrel last longer from an accuracy stand point. How do you keep a barrel clean in addition to cleaning it ? you don't shoot them with abrasives in the load or on the bullet. If you don't clean the inside of the case, there will be carbon and other forms of fouling that are very abrasive that get blown down the barrel every time it is fired, reducing barrel life.

Dirty primer pockets will/can hold carbon residue and this will come off in the loading process and foul your dies causing increased wear on the die and the exterior of the case its self.

Dirty case exteriors will cause chamber and die deterioration/wear. they will also shorten the throat
and lead angle life. Any cleaning is better than none. So any cleaning will lessen your visits to your Gunsmith.

There are many ways the gunsmith can return the chamber and throat to like new condition, but it is not cheep. so clean your cases inside and out and visit your gunsmith less often, Or not. :cool:

Just my observations while working on weapons that are kept clean and fed clean ammo, and those that not.

J E CUSTOM

I like to clean my brass after every firing (using a vibrating tumbler and walnut media). It's not only for cosmetic purposes (it looks better clean & shiny), but to also prevent any dirt, grit, etc from getting into the sizing die and scratching it. I don't know if it has any effect on accuracy.

Same here but I use Scotch Brite,

Ever tried Krazy Kloth ? When I'm only doing a box of twenty, that's what I use. Works far better than anything else I have ever tried. They have to be thoroughly wiped with a paper towel after the Krazy Kloth, but they will then be cleaner than new brass. Todd Kindler at The Woodchuck Den turned me on to this decades ago, and I think he still sells it. So does Amazon.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.