Clean brass vs dirty brass

hammer111

Is there a noticeable drop off in accuracy with dirty brass. Or how many times can you reload brass before it must be cleaned. I'm on twice fired brass not counting when I shot it from the factory. Thanks.

Last edited:
I used to clean my brass with a stainless steel media with water, soap and lemishine in a tumbler.

For a while Now, I have stopped cleaning the inside of my brass and just clean the outside of my brass with 0000 steel wool. Doesn't seem to affect anything that I can tell. I do brush out the inside of the neck to break up some of the carbon which helps with bullet seating and I also clean out the primer pockets. I just shot this group at 100 yards today with my rifle so the accuracy is not affected at all.

F1DDD3BD-CED9-4C9A-AF8F-AF37CCB03380.png

Is there a noticeable drop off in accuracy with dirty brass. Or how many times car you reload brass before it must be cleaned. I'm on twice fired brass not counting when I shot it from the factory. Thanks.

The exterior of the brass can look bad and still not effect the performance that much, but the interior can and will effect the performance. If the case is clean inside and out there is no downside. if it is dirty, there many areas that performance can be effected.

Cases don't have to be cleaned every time they are fired, But many of us like to have clean cases and normally clean every time it is fired for consistency, Not just looks.

Probably the best reason to clean your cases, is the primer pockets. If they are clean, they will seat to the same depth and not leak, losing there seal.

I recommend cleaning inside and out every time it is fired.

Just my opinion

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
For a while Now, I have stopped cleaning the inside of my brass and just clean the outside of my brass with 0000 steel wool. Doesn't seem to affect anything that I can tell. I do brush out the inside of the neck to break up some of the carbon which helps with bullet seating and I also clean out the primer pockets. I just shot this group at 100 yards today with my rifle so the accuracy is not affected at all.
Agree with Korhil78, my brass lasts 10-12 reloads and neck brushing with nylon brush, cleaning primer pockets, and steel wooling the necks keep's accuracy the same for that life.

There are some things in reloading that 'must' be done & some that will just have an affect on grouping size/accuracy.

Keep going with the uncleaned brass @hammer111, you tell us how it goes from your own results!!
I don't know that's why I'm asking.I'm working off of factory ammo. Than reloading, gun seems to shoot fine. But if I can get to shoot better ill do what needs to be done.

if you want squeaky clean , inside and out , you need a sonic cleaner or a pin tumbler . I have a lyman vibrating tumbler that uses corncob media . it doesn't clean much at all , it only shines up the outside . I use it here and there , nothing regularly . one of these days I'll buy a pin tumbler set up , just to see what it's all about .

I've never noticed a difference in accuracy for clean vs non-cleaned. I tumble it when the mood strikes me and there may be months, even years, between cleanings. I do clean the primer pockets every time but I think annealing is more important than tumbling. This in an effort to effect consistent neck tensions.

Another thing is,brass starts to get work hardened after several firings.This can lead to harder bullet seating causing more runout,also variations in neck tension which also affect accuracy.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts