Classic Wood Stock Pics?

wilkup

Anyone own a rifle that has one of these still? What about hunting with one?
Any of y'all build your own?
I'm finishing one up myself that came inletted and would love to see pics for some inspiration. Here's a pic of where I'm starting out. It's a Richardson Microfit that I plan to slim down significantly.

Attachments

• D3B9B83A-990E-4F18-B69D-7AEFA9039E8B.png
    D3B9B83A-990E-4F18-B69D-7AEFA9039E8B.png
    396.5 KB · Views: 304
Hi Wilkup,
Indeed some of us still have old fashioned wooden toys, in fact all of my rifles have wooden stocks but I do have a synthetic stock that I fit to my Sauer 202 if the weather is going to be torrential rain. Yes I hunt with all of them and that includes bush hunting as well as open type hunting. Here is a sample of the rifles I own. Good luck with your stock finishing efforts and please post a picture of the completed weapon.
IMG_1821.JPG
IMG_1822.JPG
IMG_1824.JPG

Hi Wilkup,
Indeed some of us still have old fashioned wooden toys, in fact all of my rifles have wooden stocks but I do have a synthetic stock that I fit to my Sauer 202 if the weather is going to be torrential rain. Yes I hunt with all of them and that includes bush hunting as well as open type hunting. Here is a sample of the rifles I own. Good luck with your stock finishing efforts and please post a picture of the completed weapon. View attachment 100766 View attachment 100767 View attachment 100768

Very Nice !!!!
There is nothing like a great piece of wood.

J E CUSTOM

Hi Wilkup,
Indeed some of us still have old fashioned wooden toys, in fact all of my rifles have wooden stocks but I do have a synthetic stock that I fit to my Sauer 202 if the weather is going to be torrential rain. Yes I hunt with all of them and that includes bush hunting as well as open type hunting. Here is a sample of the rifles I own. Good luck with your stock finishing efforts and please post a picture of the completed weapon. View attachment 100766 View attachment 100767 View attachment 100768
They're all beautiful, but that stock in the middle is perfect!

The middle rifle is a Sauer 202 Elegance in 25-06 calibre, the other two are Cooper Custom Classics. The top one is a model 52 also in 25-06 and the bottom one is a model 54 in 250 Sav AI. I can't seem to find a photo of my Schultz and Larsen Victory so I will take another photo and post it here for you to look at as the stock design on it is very nice.

Anyone own a rifle that has one of these still? What about hunting with one?
Any of y'all build your own?
I'm finishing one up myself that came inletted and would love to see pics for some inspiration. Here's a pic of where I'm starting out. It's a Richardson Microfit that I plan to slim down significantly.
The pre-inletted blank you have pictured is that of a California or Weatherby style with a raised cheek piece. In the pic that Kiwikid posted, the rifle at the top and the one at the bottom are of the "Classic" style, where there is no raised cheek piece, a straight line from the point of comb to the heel. You have a lot of wood to remove to make that one a "Classic Style" stock. Do your inletting first, then the shaping.

The middle rifle is a Sauer 202 Elegance in 25-06 calibre, the other two are Cooper Custom Classics. The top one is a model 52 also in 25-06 and the bottom one is a model 54 in 250 Sav AI. I can't seem to find a photo of my Schultz and Larsen Victory so I will take another photo and post it here for you to look at as the stock design on it is very nice.
I guess you like quarter bores ;)
Thanks! That schnabel forend is sexy. First time I've ever seen one and thought about adding that touch to my stock.

The pre-inletted blank you have pictured is that of a California or Weatherby style with a raised cheek piece. In the pic that Kiwikid posted, the rifle at the top and the one at the bottom are of the "Classic" style, where there is no raised cheek piece, a straight line from the point of comb to the heel. You have a lot of wood to remove to make that one a "Classic Style" stock. Do your inletting first, then the shaping.
It's shaped similar to a Weatherby Varmint, but I've since shifted gears on what I'm doing with it. Originally it was going to be built around a varmint/m40 style rifle, but 4 months later upon arrival I had changed my intended purpose completely. I know I've got LOTS of wood to remove now, but am thinking something similar to that Sauer 202 stock would be just about perfect for my new plans. Should be a stunner when it's all said and done.

Kinda funny this has come up as I just dropped off the parts and pieces for my 20-222 build that I'll be using a wood stock on. Not nearly as exotic and fancy as the above beauties but I had a real pretty BDL Custom Deluxe walnut stock that was a take off from another rifle build I did some years ago and it has been sitting collecting dust for years. I got a hankering for a 20-222 and since just about everything else I have wears a synthetic stock, I thought with this build I'd go for that classic BDL Custom Deluxe look. The one exception will be all the metal work will be Cerakoted black instead of the rich deep blueing the BDL's come with from the factory. Hopefully it still looks good.

.224s and quarter bores are my preference but I recently bought a 6.5-284 Norma barrel for my switch barrel Schultz and Larsen. Anyway here are the photos of the S&L Victory just to give you another idea for your stock.
DSC_1076.JPG
DSC_1077.JPG
DSC_1078.JPG
DSC_1079.JPG

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts