Civilian use of Military Ranges

BountyHunter

270Izzy made a point that he "thought that he could shoot at Fort Bragg". It can be done and in fact it is federal law that the military is required to make their ranges available, albeit on a lower priority behind military usage.

USC Title 10, section 4309

"a. All ranges constructed in whole or part with funds provided by the United States may be used by members of the armed forces and by persons capable of bearing arms."

b. Military Ranges-(1) In the case of a rifle range referred to in subsection (a) that is located on a military installation, the Secretary concerned may establish reasonable fees for the use by civilians of that rifle range to cover materials and supply costs incurred by the armed forces to make that rifle range available to civilians.

(3) use of a rifle range referred to in paragraph (1) by civilians may not intefere with the use of the range by members of the armed forces.

Bottom line is any club or group can request to use any military rifle range. They have to a formal agreement with the base normally, pay a range fee (here at Quantico it is $5.75 a person per day), have their Range Safety Officers trained and go through the Base RSO brief etc.

Some bases do not like to do and do not publically announce that it required.

Normally a formal letter to the Base Commander ref the USC and requesting to start the process has to be honored. if not appeal it higher and they will be force to do it.

BH

We shoot back home at Ft. Dix up in NJ when I visit and there are ranges areas open to the public for rifle, shotgun, pistol & bow. Their rifle range isn't too bad.

According to law its mandatory. But we have not been allowed back onto Camp Bullis,San Antonio TX since 9/11. Its all due to base commander that will not listen to anything. A huge idiot basically.

Anyway there were closures after 9/11 but every other base has been reopened since and they do normally have good rifle ranges. With lots of maintenance help from the civilians where I'm from anyway.

National Guard bases are under the same guidelines also FWIW as I understand it.

Finding a public rifle range past 200 yards sometimes is tough. And lots of military ranges go to 600 or even 1000.

Jeff

Hmm.... I dont live too far from the US Army artillety school in lawton Oklahoma... they have a range over 20 miles long last them I drove through. I wonder if.....

Rost

First file an official lette to the commander of the base that ref the federal law and make official request. Offer to meet all secutity check and range control training requirements. He has to respond officially and in writing. If he disapproves, then file an official complaint with the State Head of the NG if it is a NB base and file a complaint with the Dept of Army Inspector General in Washington DC. Both will have websites where you can get info/address. Do it in formal letter. State that you have officially requested to utilize the ranges IAW USC title 10, have offered to meet all applicable security requirements, Range Safety officer training etc. Include your request letter and his denial letter.

Many will deny "verbally" but few in writing and then only once.

Do a little checking. I will bet that the base allows civilians access to hunt which again is federal law. If they are doing that then, no legal reason to not allow civilians access to ranges.

BH

Bounty--- thanks for the input. All the legal stuff has been done. In fact it was done within the year of 9/11 and has been done to the max. The club has taken it about as far as they can go legally with no luck. One could make an issue of it but with politics being as they are, they are just hoping for commander rotation. Believe me I know they've tried the nice and mean routes both many times.
And to think AMU at Ft. Benning was firing again the same month or next month IIRC......

Jeff

Suggest your resubmit the packet now that things have cooled down and bases have had the time to formalize their new procedures. You might find a more receptive attitude now. At least the hype will be over and he cannot just say 9/11 and deny because all the other bases are open back up now,

BH

Jeff, if you have jumped all hoops within the Army and DOD system you should send your request directly to your two United States Senators and your US Congressman. Each will send an inquiry to the Army which requires a reply.

Title 10 says access must be given to civilian clubs unless it interferes with operations, training, or security. There are several ranges that have been closed to civilian access due to right-of-ways near active sensitive military units or facilities.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts