chrony question

deadend

What will a chronograph tell me other than the speed of the bullet? thank you in advance

What will a chronograph tell me other than the speed of the bullet? thank you in advance

I look at a chronagraph as a tool to measure the quality of your loads and to show
any improvement as you seek the best load.

It gives you much more than just velocity, It will tell you if your case prep is consistant,your
powder primer combination is good, The bullet seating depth is best, and for your records
standard deviation and extreme spread. All very important if you are going to shoot long
distances because the ammo must be very consistant.

It will also show you when pressure becomes a problem and at what point you need to
back off for the best performance.

And still another plus for the chronograph if you keep good records it will save you lots of
money on reloading components and time spent with the trial and error method.

They are a wonderful tool if used properly and every serious hunter/shooter should have
one.

J E CUSTOM

J E Custom, what chrony/s do you use, how accurate do you feel each is and what do you like and not like on each? I'm interested and the original poster may be in the market for one and interested as well.

Not JE Custom but I use the CED Millenium and Millenium 2. Set in tandem they show within 5 fps of each other on the same shots. Using the average speed of a ten round session the drops out to 500yds are right on. Haven't tried them past 500 because I lack a longer range.

CED Chronographs & Accessories

I like that the readout can be placed on the bench but the numbers are large enough to read out to 200 yds through a scope. You could probably read them further if you wanted to but I have not tried too. I get nervous about hitting a sensor passed two hundred.:D:D You can down load the whole session to a computer and examine the results if you are trying different loads. The dealings I have had with RSI have been very good. They were great to work with when I did hit a sensor, very helpful.

Russ

+1 on the CED Millenium 2. I got the IR sensors because I tend to shoot late in the day or after dark when the conditions are nill.

If you are shooting at long range, especialy game animals (this is the "Long Range Hunting Forum" after all) , knowing your velocity is CRITICAL!!!!! ALso, as mentioned it lets you know how you are doing on the loading bench. Low ES is very important to making 1st shot hits at extream range. Other than shooting lots of groups at LR, a chronograph is the only way to tell.

It also lets you know how your load reacts in different temps, velocity wise. Up here in ND we can see anywhere from 75 degrees to -30. Any new load or gun that I use will get tested at the temps I will see during hunting, even if that means taking a day off from hunting to shoot paper.

Good luck

J E Custom, what chrony/s do you use, how accurate do you feel each is and what do you like and not like on each? I'm interested and the original poster may be in the market for one and interested as well.

I have and use the Oehler 35 P and the printer is a great feature for keeping records
unfortunately Oehler no longer makes the units and only builds military chronographs but
they will still service them.

The Oehler is the bench mark that all chronographs are compared to and I hope mine never quits working.

I have the sky screens at 4 feet and with the proof channel It is very accurate.( The proof
channel detects velocity loss over the 4' and alerts you if the reading is to far off with an
error warning that you may have a bad reading so you can delete that one and not
mess up the 5 or 10 round sample. (I like to sample at least 5 rounds minimum and
prefer 10 rounds or more for good solid SDs and ESs.

We can only hope that someday Oehler will get caught up with uncle sam and resume
building the civilian version again.

I have compared it with other chronographs and with the older 33 by Oehler and have
re-tested loads that were 15 to 20 years and it repeated the velocities withen 5 ft/sec (
normally slower).

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
What do you guys think of the the "Chrony" brand? Mine seems to have gone bazerk and I don't trust it's readings anymore.

My only problem with the Chrony brand is the fact that all of the sensitive electronics
are out in front of the muzzle blast and gets whacked every time you use it.

This cannot be good and is probably the reason it is not very accurate or reliable.

Just a guess.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.