chronograph

NYSHUNTER

Any suggestions on chronographs.. I been looking at the magneto but read a few bad reviews.. Can anyone suggest a good chronograph

I have the Magnetospeed V3. I have not spent much time reading reviews, but it has worked great for me. no complaints. Far more accurate and consistent than my old light-sensor chronograph that was more or less good for nothing compared to the Magnetospeed.

I have the Magnetospeed V3. I have not spent much time reading reviews, but it has worked great for me. no complaints. Far more accurate and consistent than my old light-sensor chronograph that was more or less good for nothing compared to the Magnetospeed.

I've been thinking about upgrading from my Chrony & saw these. I like the idea of an easy setup & skipping shooting through the window. My concern is having something hanging off the barrel when doing load development as I'm usually shooting for grouping & running the chronograph at the same time. Have you noticed that the Magnetospeed changes your group sizes?

I saw that doppler unit coming out, but that's a chunk of change I don't have.

I read the V3 gets loose after firing while using large mag rifles also I read it can about 1' to a group size...That was my only concerns about that unit.

I use the MagnetoSpeed while I work up loads to max pressure and then remove it for load development. Once I have seating depth and powder tuned then I use the MagnetoSpeed for final velocity.

It does move my point of impact up between 1-2 Moa depending on which gun it's on. Stiffer barrels have less POI shift. I have not taken the time to see how it effects group size but I would guess it's not gonna help anything.

And I agree, I'm not gonna drop that kind of coin for the Doppler system.

The Magneto seems to be the range right now. I have not used one yet, but I want to. I have a Shooting Chrony that has been super reliable for years now. I do a few other things that require a chronograph ( like pistol shooting and archery) where I don't think Ill be able to get the V3 to work. If this Chrony ever dies, Ill look at the CED M2. Those are used all over the world for National level pistol matches.

The Magneto seems to be the range right now. I have not used one yet, but I want to. I have a Shooting Chrony that has been super reliable for years now. I do a few other things that require a chronograph ( like pistol shooting and archery) where I don't think Ill be able to get the V3 to work. If this Chrony ever dies, Ill look at the CED M2. Those are used all over the world for National level pistol matches.

I was also looking into the CED Chronographs. I was pleasantly surprised to find out that they're based about a mile away from my son's school, so maybe I should drop in & see if they have any refurb units or something. I also like that the "head" on those is away from the sensors & you can get an infrared setup.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.