chronograph question

GuroChris

Foot of the Blue Ridge in the shadow of Gun Mtn
I just got my hands on a CED M2 Chronograph.

My question is, how finicky are optical chronys for lighting? I used it the other day in overcast conditions and seemed to get good readings. Then I used it in bright daylight a few days later and got mixed results.
Also are there any tips on set up that help reliability?

I know a lot of guys like the magneto speed and labradar. But the price on this was right so, this is what I have. I know lots of guys have been using this type of chrony for years getting good data.

Optical chronos can be finicky due to lighting conditions. As you noticed, overcast sky is actually helpful when using an optical chrono. I have an optical chrono but I tend to use a Magnetospeed when I need a good reliable reading.

I had really good results for years with my green chrony....a few weeks ago it had a fit...numbers all over the place...
Was out other day using it..had sideways lighting(morning shooting)...had good numbers...but missed a few low powder load readings.....i have blue tape on my steel rods to guide my bullet path..as chrony says keep bullets 4-6" above photo eyes...i think all my missed readings were because I was below 4"....any closer and shoot the chrony....dropped the chrony(on a tripod) and rest of shots registered.....
Sometimes...need to slow down and think....

Image didn't paste like I hoped. I built a shade tunnel over the chrony and always got consistent results. Just not as accurate as the magneto.

Last edited:

My question is, how finicky are optical chronys for lighting? I used it the other day in overcast conditions and seemed to get good readings. Then I used it in bright daylight a few days later and got mixed results.
Also are there any tips on set up that help reliability?

I know a lot of guys like the magneto speed and labradar. But the price on this was right so, this is what I have. I know lots of guys have been using this type of chrony for years getting good data.
Changing ambient lighting can cause some weird results. I made a cover for my old optical chrony out of foam core board. Then I eventually bought a magneto speed and left those troubles behind.

I have an old Oehler 33 that I used for years. On bright sunny days, I installed the glint shields that came with it and it worked flawlessly. On overcast day's left the shields off and again, it worked flawlessly. I can tell you however, if there are any electrical storms in the area, just wait for another day as they will drive the units crazy. Magneto speed on the other hand works in any conditions that I have used it.

How far do you place the device from the muzzle of your rifle? I watched the CED M2 video and it suggests setting the unit up several feet from the muzzle. I had a Caldwell unit that seemed to work well with the phone app. This allowed you to add a photo with each saved group. The only negative I had with the unit was the set up. Having to position the unit at the correct distance and angle to get a velocity reading and still be able to hit my target. This 'tunnel vision" was a little annoying. I have since purchased a Laradar. The unit is much easier to use, but the pone app isn't near as nice as the Caldwell. Positioning the unit on my shooting bench without having to walk out in front of the firing line (requesting a cease fire) to make minor adjustments is a real plus. IMHO if Labradr can put together a better phone app the additional out of pocket cost is worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_4518.PNG
    IMG_4518.PNG
    51.6 KB · Views: 117
If you want to read up on chronographs and accuracy, Bryan Litz devoted a chapter on a chronograph face-off in his book on Modern Advancements in Long Range Shooting (Vol 1). Bottom line: lighting can be an issue, along with alignment and measurement length...

OP - i just try to keep direct sunlight out - shoot early, late, I have put painters tap across the "uprights" to block direct light into the "eyes". I have heard good things about the CED units.

Is that a steel ramp GWINE?

Good idea! So is the "box," why didn't I think of that?? Maybe use a somewhat clear plastic box so it "glows" and the optical eyes see better?? I have a Chrony Beta Master, it is great, just getting to be a lot of fidgetting. Trying hard not to look at the Magneto Speed...

26Reload - Now the "sideways light/morning shooting" gave me an idea for when lighting is harsh - tilt it 90* to the side and hang a white sheet, poster board...

...or... I could just go ahead and get the Magneto speed I know I will get eventually. And a couple years of suffering later I wil talk myself into labradar.....

Tilting sideways the metal post would fall out...
If you havent a chrono...i would just but the Magneto3...
Save time and energy for other aspects of shooting...

I did wrap mine in a black plastic once...cutout for the plastic cross members to allow the light thru....wasnt much better...

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.