Chronograph needed for reloading?

Should I buy a Chronograph?

• Yes

Votes: 100 86.2%
  • No

Votes: 16 13.8%

• Total voters
I have a prochrono digital and really like it. It hardly ever misses a shot and I trust that the velocities are accurate. I can't imagine working up a load without it, the loading manuals are just too far off on the velocities to estimate velocity that way. I'm sure the magnetospeed works well but the fact that you have to hang it on your barrel would be a deal breaker for me, there's no way to test for accuracy with something hanging off your barrel. Without going to an Oehler I don't think you can beat the prochrono.

For your requirements you could get away without using a chronograph and it would be questionable whether the time, energy, and variability of the optical units would make it worth the effort. With the Magnetosoeed, and its convenience of use and accuracy regardless of lighting conditions, I would opt for using it for the additional information.IMO

For your requirements you could get away without using a chronograph and it would be questionable whether the time, energy, and variability of the optical units would make it worth the effort. With the Magnetosoeed, and its convenience of use and accuracy regardless of lighting conditions, I would opt for using it for the additional information.IMO

I am definitely interested in chronographs, but the magneto speed is definitely a deal breaker for me since it cannot work with auto pistols. That would mean I would have to buy it AND something else for my pistols. Maybe I will go with the prochrono which seems to be decently accurate with few errors. THEN, if I really get into longer distance target shooting/hunting(greater than 400 yards) ill add the magneto for my rifles and keep the prochrono for pistols. Pistol speed is relatively important to me(other than accuracy/consistancy and safety issues) because I use plated bullets for reloading and you have to watch your speeds on those.

I am definitely interested in chronographs, but the magneto speed is definitely a deal breaker for me since it cannot work with auto pistols. That would mean I would have to buy it AND something else for my pistols. Maybe I will go with the prochrono which seems to be decently accurate with few errors. THEN, if I really get into longer distance target shooting/hunting(greater than 400 yards) ill add the magneto for my rifles and keep the prochrono for pistols. Pistol speed is relatively important to me(other than accuracy/consistancy and safety issues) because I use plated bullets for reloading and you have to watch your speeds on those.
You might want to search for the thread on the new doppler radar chrony that's coming out in March. Barring some really bad reports on them that's the way I'm going.

+1 for the prochrono. I've used it for a number load developments and it's been quite accurate. I reloaded for a while without one. But now that I have one I wouldn't go back. It helped me catch a pressure issue between Remington and Winchester brass in my 223 as the Winchester speeds were significantly higher with the same loads.

I did not think I needed one until I went on a pronghorn hunt back in the 80's.I went by the reloading book on what the speed of my bullet was.I under shot the first couple times.I came home and bought one and found out the book was almost 400 fps off.I know all my loads speed now.

The only thing they are good for is to get your average velocity for a click chart. I have seen loads shoot small at 100 and have less then 2 to 3 deviation for 10 shot strings and not shoot at all at 1000. Like 16 inches or so. Same gun and have 15 deviation and shoot 10 shot 4 inch groups at 1000. I have seen this many times and in a lot of different rifles. These were all custom 1000 yard BR rifles. If it happens to them it can happen to other rifles. Matt

I can't wait...My MagnetoSpeed V2 will be waiting on me when I get off work tomorrow. I might go test it out Friday... :D

Working with guns without a chronograph, Is sort of like driving a car without a speedometer. How fast is this dang thing going. It gives you a lot of insight into what is happening with components and loads. I bought a Pact I a few years ago. Got a real awakening. To do any ballistic calculations a true Muzzle Velocity is a must. I like to shoot all loads from the bench through the chronograph.

Unlike many of the posts so far I would recommend you buy a chronograph as your FIRST reloading purchase. I even recommend that non reloaders get one as factory ballistics are the marketing department's pipe dreams! I couldn't wait for my first Shooting Chrony to show up and it was a huge awakening as to what all my loads were doing.

Chronographed a friend's new 7 mm RemMag with an assortment of factory loads and most were 100+ fps slow. One was advertised @ 3050 fps and shot over the screens at 2700 fps! Hornady Superformance were only 20 fps slow and his barrel was 2" shorter than the test barrel. He hunts with the Hornaday's.

The opticals have issues with the light but they work fine with a few simple rules:
1) No direct sunlight into the sensing slits. I put a piece of tape across the uprights to cast a shadow over the sensing slits.
2) Always uses the diffusers. The consistent backdrop helps a lot.
3) Rain sucks.
4) Dull days and bright days are a problem. Average days work best. Bright days overwhelm the sensors and dull days don't give enough contrast.
5) Put the optics as far as is reasonable from the muzzle. Close in the muzzle blast of a magnum rifle rattles the chronograph pretty good. The powder shock wave is in front of the bullet for a short distance from the muzzle and it will really screw up the results. When I set the chronograph at the limit of the wires I don't have problems. That is about 12-15 feet for the Beta Master or CED MII.

My two are mounted on armored sleds to take an accidental hit. The extra weight really anchors them down and they don't shudder nearly as much as before.

B.C. (before chronographs) I had a load for Dad's pre-war PPk in 7.62 Kurtz (ACP) that tossed a cast 71 gr bullet with the maximum load of Unique from a reputable manual. When I got my first Chrony they were clocking north of 1300 fps! That would explain the empties being tossed some 30 feet to the right! That load was reduced substantially. That is the only reason I need to own a chronograph.

KB

Voted YES! and get a magnetospeed. It is really nice knowing what velocity your getting as you work up a load and are changing powder amounts!

Finally got to the range today... I got to use my MSv2. Best $375 you can spend, as a handloader. It looks complicated at first, but after a couple of swaps from different rifles, it became quite simple and fast to install/remove/re-install.

I HIGHLY recommend the MagnetoSpeed v2.

I feel the same way about chronographs as I do about monopods. Waste of time, and if you think you need one you haven't shot enough or don't know what you are doing. I've shot over a CED, and an Oehler. The numbers they give you won't line your shots up at distance so all they do is show you ES and SD. Save yourself a bunch of time, money and bullsh%$t and just shoot at 100, get your rifle zeroed, step out to 400, then 700 or so and then go out to 1k. Work with the real numbers and look at your vertical spread.

The other thing you have to consider is your throat is constantly changing and as your barrel gets more rounds through it your fps drop a little. Things like these variables make me think cronos are just silly and a waste of time and money.

I've watched guys shoot over an Oehler one day and then same load another day and get really frustrated with the numbers coming out of the darn thing.

I feel the same way about chronographs as I do about monopods. Waste of time, and if you think you need one you haven't shot enough or don't know what you are doing. I've shot over a CED, and an Oehler. The numbers they give you won't line your shots up at distance so all they do is show you ES and SD. Save yourself a bunch of time, money and bullsh%$t and just shoot at 100, get your rifle zeroed, step out to 400, then 700 or so and then go out to 1k. Work with the real numbers and look at your vertical spread.

The other thing you have to consider is your throat is constantly changing and as your barrel gets more rounds through it your fps drop a little. Things like these variables make me think cronos are just silly and a waste of time and money.

I've watched guys shoot over an Oehler one day and then same load another day and get really frustrated with the numbers coming out of the darn thing.

I was in a similar place as yourself, owning several chronographs, including an Oehler. While I believe in doing a live ballistic verification on any load, the Magnetospeeds accuracy under any condition, and its ease of use has greatly simplified the process in the development of my loads. It is a game changer in my opinion and has proven to be a valuable tool in understanding the true velocity and ES before live testing. My live verification testing at long range has been consistent with drops and verticle spreads using the Magetospeeds readings in my ballistic calculator.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.