Chronograph could not work

Ian M

We setup my chronograph on Friday and failed to get accurate readings. We got some very crazy numbers and the display was blinking which indicates something is not right. I think the culpret was the low angle of the sun, we setup about 2.00 pm which I thought would have about max light but the sun was pretty low on the southern horizon. Put in fresh batteries, tried with and without the diffusers. Even tried two 35P bodies but no good.
Anyone have any experience with similar situation. Bullets were .22 and .30 spitzers.

My chrono refuses to work below around 32 degrees. I've built a small cardboard box for the head to sit in with a couple of those disposable hand warmers.

AJ

Just a wild guess here...

I'm figuring that it's fairly cold where you are right now. As AJ stated, the electronics might not be functioning well at low temps, but did you also consider condensation freezing on the sensors? If it was taken from a warm environment (truck, house, etc) and setup in low temps, condensation might be a factor.

If you can shoot something indoors (archery, pellet rifle) try testing it in warmer ambient temps to make sure it's working properly...then blame the cold when it won't work outside.

Ian, I have had the same problem when the sun angle is low. I found a simiple solution is to place a deck umbrells next to the defussors and you are good to go. I test loads well below zero and temp has never been a problem for me when using the 35P. Dave

Mine is the same way, once the sun starts going down it goes to crap!! but... my problems are usually later in the day (about 1-2 hrs before sunset)
I once had my chrony read extremely high numbers in the middle of the summer. I knew it was not right, because the numbers it was telling me, my bolt should have been welded shut! I changed the battery, and the next time and every time since it has seems to work fine.
??????????????????

Ian, I usually try to beat the crowd to the range, so I get their at the crack of dawn. I have found that to be useless however, because as the sun rises, the chrony wont work. Same problem, the angle of the sun. After it gets some altitude to it, no problems. I'm sure there is a way to overcome that, but in my case, I'll just sleep in a little longer.

Try this.

Buy a led strip bar it can be powered by a 12 volt battery and be attached to your sky screens upper disfuser. This will provide light for all circumstances. A six volt battery would probably work too just less light. There are more led bars, that was just a quick search and idea.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/store/html/images/strip_w.jpg
Product Listing - BARS
Dave
Have you tried this.
I had been considering it but was unsure if it would work. If anyone else has tried it and it works I will try it too.
I may try it anyway:D
James

Ian, I have had the same problem when the sun angle is low. I found a simiple solution is to place a deck umbrells next to the defussors and you are good to go. I test loads well below zero and temp has never been a problem for me when using the 35P. Dave

Ditto. I was just out running my Oehler 35 in 15 degree weather just the other day with no problems.

Sun angle and snow on the ground are the most likely culprits if the batteries are fresh. SHiny bullets thrown into the mix add even more difficulty to the chrono. I have had my Oehler not work when the sun was directly at my back and early in the morning with snow on the ground. But I gave it about 20 minutes and the angle changed enough that it started working great again.

James

Nope I sure haven't the idea came to me when I read the post and instantly thought of a led light strip. Might check with Radio Shack for an even better lighting solution with less power requirements.

Da who posts on here purchased the lighting system for his or vamped up some sort of lighting system for his Oehler and it works.

Oehler sells a lighting system but its 120 vac and huge and bulky and meant for indoor work looks like.

James

Nope I sure haven't the idea came to me when I read the post and instantly thought of a led light strip. Might check with Radio Shack for an even better lighting solution with less power requirements.

Da who posts on here purchased the lighting system for his or vamped up some sort of lighting system for his Oehler and it works.

Oehler sells a lighting system but its 120 vac and huge and bulky and meant for indoor work looks like.

I bought the Oehler lighting system last summer after many failed attempts to make a suitable light system myself. I tried LED lights and they just didn't have enough juice to make the lenses work. The Oehler system consists of a bracket on the orange diffuser which holds a special "display counter" bulb that is about 10" long and snaps into the bracket. It has a switch on it and a 110 plug. I use a three plug outlet and run an extension cord to a generator or a battery pack. The bulbs are somewhat rare and I had to special order them from a lighting supply store in Salt Lake City. They were a spendy $20 each and you will need some spares. I have had two of the bulbs that were sent to me by Oehler break already but I have yet to have the others that I ordered from the supply store break.

The whole unit is only slightly more bulky to pack up and works flawlessly in the darkest of nights. The only bad thing is the fragile long filaments in the bulbs (I take mine to the range in an SKB pistol case with extra padding). Well, that and the hassle of taking a generator or battery pack to the range!

Dr Oehler told me that you can run the m35 at night with only two bulbs but 3 work better so that's what I did.

I don't know if I'd try it myself as I always set mine up with a level and everything else that's a bit compulsive.... But I've heard of tilting the whole set-up on it's side a little and still shooting through or over the screens can help if light is not co-operative.

Well there ya have it the led wont work. Did you have a direct led or dispersed led array GG?

I see some of the led lighting strips have a 30 degree to 50 degree lighting "cone" I guess.

Wonder if this plays into the solution.

My range is 50 miles from the house, I dont have a generator and wont spend the money to get the special light bulbs so I guess Ill just have to rely on ole mother nature and cloudless days :).

I have run into the same problems with my Oehler on overcast days and fading sunset light.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.