Chronograph chronographed?

I suppose I was careful with alignment and not so much with thinking about what I was doing. Around 20+\- years ago when I got my first I was checking it out on everything I could think of. In the experiment was .22LR rat shot. The pattern opened quickly and ricocheted off the Chrony into my face. Remember safety glasses has been with me since.

After purchasing my first unit I was always extremely careful when using my chrony and had it for a good many years, too proud of the fact that I was smart enough not to put a hole in it. Then one day I brought home a new 45 colt clone and in my excitement set the chrony on the handrail of the deck rather than a tripod(mistake #1). Then in my haste used a broom handle to steady my aim (mistake #2) and proceeded to send all 6 rounds downrange in a slow methodical fashion taking care to not sway too much. When I blew it off the handrail on round number 3 I stood there astonished....like how could that have happened. But that's not the best part, when I got my new chrony a few weeks later my boy brought home a new pellet rifle. So, I put the new chrony back on handrail sure I would be double careful from that fresh experience not to have a Deja Vu moment and you guessed it....put a pellet right through the plastic of the rear eye. I once read in a magazine that all shooters in the world belong in one of two categories, those that have shot their chronograph and everyone else who will....and eventually you're going to transition quickly from one category into the other.

Yep. 458 SOCOM AR15. Forgot to account for the scope/bore offset.
F208E895-535E-405C-80C2-700680F828FC.jpegF208E895-535E-405C-80C2-700680F828FC.jpeg58702661-B373-4513-9897-79E12DD61BC3.jpeg

Attachments

• E3FAEF6B-CA44-4334-AA73-1A56D321C928.jpeg
    E3FAEF6B-CA44-4334-AA73-1A56D321C928.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 136
Hahaha. I can only imagine the damage. I'm pretty familiar with shotgun slugs being from Illinois. And yes unfortunately I've seen my own chronograph get a .223 sent right through the display. My uncle and I were checking speeds on some of his handloads for a 7mm-08. That went fine but after that he had the .223 that he just mounted a scope on and we went to sighting it in. I never thought to move the crononograph. Lesson learned! My uncle took care of getting it fixed but I don't think he got any discounts. Haha

A good way to check it is to get a cheap bore light (laser) that goes in the end of your barrel.
I like that idea. I've been setting up going back and fourth between the rifle and chronograph getting things aligned and all the while have had a laser boresighter I could have used. I bet it makes things a lot easier. Thanks

Last edited:
Never shot my Shooting Chrony but was at the range one day when a couple guys were loading up 30-round mags for their ARs using factory ammo and seeing how quickly they could empty them. Pretty sure they toasted their barrels, as they would go through 60 rounds as fast as they could pull the trigger. They also had some boxes of handgun ammo on their bench. Saw a Shooting Chrony sitting on their bench with what they said was a .380 hole through the readout. I just figured they had more money than brains.

I thought I would ask this question how many are willing to admit having the absolute fun of shooting your own chronograph? Two years ago I was testing new slugs at 1 1/4Oz for the area I hunt and I was resetting my front bag under my 870 forearm. I didn't see the end cap sling swivel had spin around and somehow caused the forearm to raise up so the sight picture looked fine when I went to shoot but when I touching off the shotgun, the sling swivel swing back down thus lowering the front end so it actually slid back to just the barrel. Enough to hit the LED readout perfectly causing the chronograph to lift off the tripod quite easily I might add and go down range at quite a brisk velocity in many many many plastic pieces. When I called the company to reorder, the very nice lady said I could send it in for repair. When I explained the totality of the damage from a slug she actually started to laugh and told me this was one of the best if not the best chronograph demolition she has heard. Took pity on me and gave me discount for new one. She actually wondered if the chronograph could have been chronographed going down range.

SO my question remains: how many are willing to admit smashing their pretty electronics?

Never shot my own but the first time I used one I hit one of the risers and watched it self destruct. This was in the late eighties and it was an optical with a double set of rabbit ears.

Fortunately it only cost me about 20.00 to fix it.

I thought I would ask this question how many are willing to admit having the absolute fun of shooting your own chronograph? Two years ago I was testing new slugs at 1 1/4Oz for the area I hunt and I was resetting my front bag under my 870 forearm. I didn't see the end cap sling swivel had spin around and somehow caused the forearm to raise up so the sight picture looked fine when I went to shoot but when I touching off the shotgun, the sling swivel swing back down thus lowering the front end so it actually slid back to just the barrel. Enough to hit the LED readout perfectly causing the chronograph to lift off the tripod quite easily I might add and go down range at quite a brisk velocity in many many many plastic pieces. When I called the company to reorder, the very nice lady said I could send it in for repair. When I explained the totality of the damage from a slug she actually started to laugh and told me this was one of the best if not the best chronograph demolition she has heard. Took pity on me and gave me discount for new one. She actually wondered if the chronograph could have been chronographed going down range.

SO my question remains: how many are willing to admit smashing their pretty electronics?
When I built a stand for my Oehler chronogaph I included 2 pieces of AR550 steel in front of them at a 45 degree angle. I and my friends have clipped the front one a couple of times (They then bought Beer after the range session :) ).

I'm guilty of sending a 410gr hard cast bullet from a 475 Linebaugh through a Pro Chrony at 75 yards. I already had a Magneto at the time, so the Pro Chrony was kind of disposable and used for chronongraphing down range only. It had survived a couple close calls at 4-500 yards with the rifles, but the handgun at 75 yards was a bit too much.

I really enjoyed your humor. Thanks for sharing !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.