Chronograph chronographed?

I have shot the screen legs off my Chrony and peppered its face with black powder residue. That residue damaged the face of the instrument. But I have has swapped over to an on the barrel chronograph bayonet style so I just have to check that the pick up is below the barrel these days.

LOL...welcome to the club! A good 20 years ago I was shooting prone with another rifle and decided to test a load for my 375 H&H. Set up the chrono, did not pay enough attention when squirming around to get to get proper sight picture. Had never fired that rifle from the prone so I thought this will be a new experience...see what it's like in case I need to do it on a hillside. Bipod feet slipped off the tarp into the snow and sank about an inch...just enough to clip the Beta Chrony and send it cartwheeling. Oh well, never liked that one anyway!

I shot the aluminum rod supporting the shade over the stop screen of my Caldwell chrono a few years ago. Broke the plastic housing, diffuser over the stop screen got lost, and parted a wire to the stop screen. A little soldering, glue & black electrical tape & it was good as new. Considering a purchase of a Labradar.

As a range master I was observing a shooter diligently set up a chrono ( I didn't have one at the time) and proceed to destroy it. After getting a chrono of my own (now have two) I always remember his shock and bad language when I am setting up and sighting. Having said that I suspect the next time I use it I will posting here. B-)

I thought I would ask this question how many are willing to admit having the absolute fun of shooting your own chronograph? Two years ago I was testing new slugs at 1 1/4Oz for the area I hunt and I was resetting my front bag under my 870 forearm. I didn't see the end cap sling swivel had spin around and somehow caused the forearm to raise up so the sight picture looked fine when I went to shoot but when I touching off the shotgun, the sling swivel swing back down thus lowering the front end so it actually slid back to just the barrel. Enough to hit the LED readout perfectly causing the chronograph to lift off the tripod quite easily I might add and go down range at quite a brisk velocity in many many many plastic pieces. When I called the company to reorder, the very nice lady said I could send it in for repair. When I explained the totality of the damage from a slug she actually started to laugh and told me this was one of the best if not the best chronograph demolition she has heard. Took pity on me and gave me discount for new one. She actually wondered if the chronograph could have been chronographed going down range.

SO my question remains: how many are willing to admit smashing their pretty electronics?
I've shot a few hood rods on my Chrony Beta Master but I lent my Magnetospeed Sporter to a buddy and he proceeded to shoot it on the first shot.

You mean to tell me I am not the only one to have done that? LOL Shot the rods that hold the sun screen up so many tomes I have replace them with bamboo skewers. Keep a few extra in the case just in case I might happen to do it again, like next time I am out shooting.

I kinda wish I could loan my Chrony to one of you guys. I think it reads slow and the company refused to calibrate it. I'm also of tired of having to buy a new computer program every time I upgrade my computer.

My buddy killed his last spring sighting in his rifle and I shot mine this last summer with a 454 casull. So when Cabelas had the labradar on sale for $499 plus 10% off and free shipping. I pulled the trigger on one. I built my own quadpod and setting up the labradar is unbelievably easy. Well worth it knowing I won't be killing another chrony.

I had a friend break the sky screens on my alpha chrony trying to see how fast that he could throw a rock, another friend shot the sky screen rods with a 7 mag, never did find the pieces. Conclusion, don't let friends shoot over your chrony.

My first chronograph was the early version of the Shooting Chrony with the little black plastic folding "skycreens". Wasn't much 'sky' visible through those. Getting the line of sight for the scope and the bullet path through a pair of 4"x6" port holes was a challenge. Mine were riddled with hits- bullet holes, sabot hits & slug wad dings. Fortunately all were non-lethal.

I shot an old shooting chrony on purpose, have bounced bullets off Magneto bayonets. A friend replaced a few sensors on a CED unit. Stuff happens.
Here is an Amp Mate case feeder that fell out of favor with me. In retrospect, shooting it would have been more fun.
amp.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.