Chronograph advice

I have been using a Magnetospeed since the first week they were on the market. It was a V1. I now use the Sporter and like it. Batteries last forever. Labradar uses a LOT of battery powder for a trivial amount of additional information. They both read velocities accurately.
I usually have to adjust velocities 20~30 FPS for trued drops. Last time was 22 FPS to match the custom bullet profile provided for the Applied Ballistics app. I recommend AB too.
One big difference is the Mag-speed only gives one velocity at the muzzle. The Lab radar give velocities at multiple ranges and with that you can calculate the BC to get more accurate bullet performance. Very rarely does the advertised BC match the tested BC.

It won't fit over a centrefire sound suppressor.

Are you basing this off experience or just what you've heard? I've had no issues with my suppressors but would like you to clarify for the sake of the many others who might look at this thread trying to make an informed decision.
Which magnetospeed do you have? V3 or Sporter? Or older maybe...What do you mean by it will not fit? How big is your suppressor (OD)?

DO NOT USE BATTARIES WITH A LABRADAR.
it will impact your ammo supplies.
get a batt pack like the one they sell and it works very well.

I have been using a Magnetospeed since the first week they were on the market. It was a V1. I now use the Sporter and like it. Batteries last forever. Labradar uses a LOT of battery powder for a trivial amount of additional information. They both read velocities accurately.
I usually have to adjust velocities 20~30 FPS for trued drops. Last time was 22 FPS to match the custom bullet profile provided for the Applied Ballistics app. I recommend AB too.

suppressors can get very hot.. I WOULD THINK TWICE ABOUT HANGING ANYTHING on one.

Are you basing this off experience or just what you've heard? I've had no issues with my suppressors but would like you to clarify for the sake of the many others who might look at this thread trying to make an informed decision.
Which magnetospeed do you have? V3 or Sporter? Or older maybe...What do you mean by it will not fit? How big is your suppressor (OD)?

I currently have a chrony but from my experience I've had to adjust dramatically when verifying drops. I'm looking for a new chronograph but want to know if the magnetospeed v3/sporter or labradar are worth the price. How much adjusting needed to be done while verifying drops?
----------
bracket with chrono.jpeg
Bracket with chrono.jpg
Bracket with chrono.jpg
Chrono bracket.jpeg
bracket with chrono.jpeg
Bracket with chrono.jpg
Chrono bracket.jpeg
bracket with chrono.jpeg
Bracket with chrono.jpg
bracket with chrono.jpeg
bracket with chrono.jpeg

I was concerned about changes to POI when strapping a Magnetospeed to my barrel, so I built this bracket to suspend the chrono off the front handguard. It attaches to a pic rail on the bottom of my handguard, the chrono attaches to the bracket, and my bipod attaches to a pic rail on the bottom of the bracket. I've set the chrono's sensing surface 0.200" below the bullet's line of travel and it picks up data reliably. I'm building one for my Savage 10 6.5 CM now, getting ready for load development on that new rifle. Also, I did buy the cell phone extension cable for my v3 chrono and so far I haven't seen any problems moving data to my cellphone.

----------View attachment 116271 View attachment 116272 View attachment 116272 View attachment 116270 View attachment 116271 View attachment 116272 View attachment 116270 View attachment 116271 View attachment 116272 View attachment 116271 View attachment 116271
I was concerned about changes to POI when strapping a Magnetospeed to my barrel, so I built this bracket to suspend the chrono off the front handguard. It attaches to a pic rail on the bottom of my handguard, the chrono attaches to the bracket, and my bipod attaches to a pic rail on the bottom of the bracket. I've set the chrono's sensing surface 0.200" below the bullet's line of travel and it picks up data reliably. I'm building one for my Savage 10 6.5 CM now, getting ready for load development on that new rifle. Also, I did buy the cell phone extension cable for my v3 chrono and so far I haven't seen any problems moving data to my cellphone.
Sorry for the multiple images, it was a mis-fire on the posting process.

One big difference is the Mag-speed only gives one velocity at the muzzle. The Lab radar give velocities at multiple ranges and with that you can calculate the BC to get more accurate bullet performance. Very rarely does the advertised BC match the tested BC.
I just use the custom profiles for bullets provided by Applied Ballistics. They are extremely accurate ballistic profiles. I'm pretty sure they are dopler derived.

I just use the custom profiles for bullets provided by Applied Ballistics. They are extremely accurate ballistic profiles. I'm pretty sure they are dopler derived.

I'm excited about the AB software. Once my Kilo 2400 gets here I'll be using that. Just have to make sure my muzzle velocity is accurate first... at least that's what I'm thinking is crucial to use the AB software.

I went with the Labradar and have really enjoyed it. I usually take several rifles out shooting or go with friends so it's very convenient to just set up the labradar and then not have to mess with switching the device to a different rifle. The benefit of both labradar and magnetospeed is they are less finicky than conventional chronographs.

I had the Magnetospeed which worked reasonably well, but I found to be a pain to use with any tapered barrel. You have to be extremely careful not to shoot the sensor and the strap seemed to loosen all the time. I finally replaced it with a LabRadar and it is a much better system.
I use the plastic straps on my Magnetospeed...some barrels it would come loose but not all.

my ohler 35p is not "finicky" at all and with 3 Screens , 2 sets of data compared for you up front pretty good tool.
the labradar was hard to use, reaching around the gun to press buttons that were poorly id'd. the phone app for the lab radar is a big step forward.

i i find money i'll get another labradar.

I went with the Labradar and have really enjoyed it. I usually take several rifles out shooting or go with friends so it's very convenient to just set up the labradar and then not have to mess with switching the device to a different rifle. The benefit of both labradar and magnetospeed is they are less finicky than conventional chronographs.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.