Chrono VS Shooting

dragman

Has anyone ever seen a large distance between what the chrono says and a computer drop chart and Verifying at the range?? I checked my speed and used my program but the range result was very different shows I should be a lot faster?? I have never had the two be far apart is this normal or is the chrono wrong? I used two different chrono's though so I don't see how that could be it.

Here's your choices:

A. Use the chrono readings to create the drop chart and don't worry about actual drops.

B. Forget the chrono and develop the drop chart by shooting @ several ranges out to the maximum range.

Which of the above will result in successful harvest of more game? Yep, you guessed it!:)

One of my rifles chronos @ 3440 FPS but Shooter to make the drops hit the targets says to use 3040 FPS. And no I don't have it figured.:rolleyes: It just works.:)

Oh, and this is with a second barrel on the rifle which with the original bbl and same custom bullets used the same bc and the chrono reading of 3440.

Can barrels change bc that much???

I use the chrono for ES and SD only and that is trumped by watching vertical dispersion at very long distances.

Real world ballistics trumps calculated values.

I use the chrono for ES and SD only and that is trumped by watching vertical dispersion at very long distances.

Real world ballistics trumps calculated values.[/QUOTE]

i would totaly agree.
in a way a chronagraph is almost a waste.
it woud work if you just winged it on your original estimate then worked up a chart from actual shooting.
and when you come right down to it you can eliminate the need for a
rangefinder by doing the same thing. provided you always hunt from the same
spots of coarse.

I have posted my opinion on this in several conversations here lately but for the record I'll repeat it hear. I quit using my chronograph all together. Real drop tests from long range targets cycled threw the ballistics program to develop initial velocity output gave more reliable data than the chronograph. That data can still be used to generate drop charts thew the program and already includes proven and confirmed data. I figure since I have to confirm drops anyway and have to test a given load at long range anyway. I am not taking the long way around I am actually cutting right to the chase and getting stellar results this way. For me the chronograph has gone the way of the doedoe. It has bean replaced with the modern ballistics computer. One gadget intended to compliment the other has proven to simply do it better alone.

Thanks for the input.
Gonna just use my adjusted speed from my range time to finish my ballistics chart. I will take it out to 1400 and see if it holds.

I use one to check theories and check ES but thats it. I also dont ever believe a chrono over a drop or spread. Only real issue which isnt really an issue is that you will never KNOW a real velocity. Of course since 2 chronos never agree and I cant get a cop and a radar gun to stand in front of me the point is moot. There can be a huge downrange data diff. due to the barrel. HUGE. Ive had 4 edge barrels. All shot within 5 fps of 2850. 1.25 moa elevation difference from worst to best at 1k. 1 needs more spindrift and windage than the other 3 and 1 needs less with 2 in the middle. May seem weird but it is what it is. And this is logbook data not my faulty memory.

I use my chrono when working up a load, it tells me when I'm close to where I want to be. As far as a drop chart, I dial in the scope to the actual distance.
db

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts