chromoly v. stainless

Stainless Steel is less affected byboth "corosion" and "Erosion" the two main factors of wearing out a barrel.

I assume you were talking about a barrel?

Devildoc

I have heard this before and can not believe that a barrel maker can
make that claim .

To many other barrel makers like Lilja disagree and you can read what
he has to say about it on his website under the FAQ section also near
the bottom of this section.

Some times people quote things out of context and consider it gospel
for everthing .

And if Kriger makes these claims it might be the type of stainless he is
using is unsafe and this is good advice for his barrels.

But I cant believe that all the others would except the risk and make
barrels of a material that could be dangerous at temperatures that
could be hunted (-50 or -60 )degrees.

So in my opionion Stainless has to many advantages over crome moly
( better throat life,better corrosion resistance and doesent need to
be coated (blued,parkerized,anodized or painted) for protection.

Just my 2 cents
J E CUSTOM

Stainless expands and contracts more than CM does and I think that Kreigers line of thought is that if you have a good bore thats relitvly tight and the bore shrinks .001"-.002" you may run into pressure troubles if your running a crazy hot load. This is the reason that they were working with series 410 SS for a while as it has a bit more CM in it that 416 so it a had little bit lower expansion/contraction ratio but that has since been abandoned.
I have made some interferance fit parts (pump shaft and sleeves) that were as much as .006" interferance fit , the female part (440 SS sleeve) was baked to 300 deg and the male part (316 SS shaft) was frozen to about -30 deg because at 0 deg it haden't shrunk enought ot fit together.

I highly doubt that anybody will be hunting in climates cold enough to shrink a barrel enough to cause any trouble if shooting sane loads.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.