Christiansen Rifles "Mesa" questions?

RevJim

Is the Mesa in 300WM easy to shoot well in the field? I once had an MGM in 340W, had a KDF style brake that was horribly loud, the rifle was "whippy" and kicked the guts out of a Leupold and a Zeiss while I was in Africa. I see the new Mesa in 300WM, also with a KDF style brake and at 6.5# was wondering what issues it may have for some owners? I'm interested in the rifle, but wondering if a Montana Rifles X2 (7.5 or so) may be more in line with my style of hunting? Help please...

I am very inexperienced with brakes, but the Christensen radial brake on my Ridgeline seems incredible to me. I haven't had a problem with noise while wearing normal hearing protection. The reduction in recoil is incredible too.

One of the options is a side port brake. If shooting prone, it doesn't kick up the dirt. It has ports angled back and is also loud. Comes with thread protector, if hunting you can remove the brake.

One of the options is a side port brake. If shooting prone, it doesn't kick up the dirt. It has ports angled back and is also loud. Comes with thread protector, if hunting you can remove the brake.

Agreed, although I never find the need to remove the muzzle brake hunting (it might also change the point of contact ... something to consider). Lots of effective muzzle brake with reasonable prices out there if the factory option does not work.

just picked one of these up in 300 win mag. The fit and finish are great and it seems to be a quality rifle. Bolt is smooth and the trigger feels great. The barrel is a little heavier than what I was expecting for a featherweight profile but I prefer it that way as this will hopefully become a medium range rifle.

have you guys shot it in the field w/o ear plugs or muffs? I just don't use them as I never found anything that was comfortable. We tried some rubber plugs that were supposed to "cut off the gun blast" and while it helped a tad, they were very uncomfortable.

I use SoundGear when shooting and hunting + add muffs at the range. I will no longer shoot any firearm without good hearing protection. Of course, it's too late.

The side ports are defiantly best if shooting prone, or as I found out, if your shooting sitting down in a dusty field with a radial brake. LOL.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts