Christensen Rifle....#2?

shooters

So. I had opened a thread a few weeks ago discussing issues I had with my 28 Nosler in A Christensen Ridgeline. Showed what appeared to be pressure issues...headspace maybe? Needless to say, we sent it back to Christensen. There's no way that rifle was tested before being sent out the door. No matter what ammunition was fired through it, factory or hand loaded, you had to beat the bolt handle up. Anyhow, I never did find out what the issue was. So they sent me out another rifle. This time instead of the 28, I chose to go back to my favorite caliber, The 300 RUM.
So now onto my next concern. Taking an empty (no bullet) full sized Norma brass and feeding it, feels ok and bolt seems to close smooth. No, loading up a 190 Accubond LR at Mag length (3.800 I believe) no way bolt handle would come close to closing. Working my way down every few thousandth, around the 3.680 the bolt would finally close but it felt very gritty and rough...like it was digging into the lands. So long story short, I'm all the way down to 3.540 and it still feels the same. That is seated ridiculously deep. I've loaded 6 rounds the same and all feel terrible closing the bolt. I don't have any factory ammo to try. Can someone maybe point me in the right direction? What am I doing wrong here or what to try??

Great.....

I just had a buddy buy two CA Ridgelines....in 28 Nosler and .300RUM! And he wants me to work up loads for him.....

I would also send them a dummy round with no powder or primer, showing you are well below the Nosler recommended COAL of 3.60". This will let them see the issue, rather than them loading some bullet that may chamber fine. Otherwise they may tell you it was something with your ammo - sending the dummy will prevent that.

Before you ship it back-
Were the lands actually digging in at 3.68"?
I would use a sharpie and paint up the case and bullet and chamber it to see where the issue is.

I'm going too. For all I know, it's something I'm doing or with my brass. I'm not pointing fingers at the rifle just yet. Just needed some opinions or thoughts. I'm gonna run each new Norma brass through the sizer die before I try again. Could b a brass issue too. I'll keep at it

Try and chamber a resized piece of brass without any primer or bullet and see what happens.

I would call Christensen and ask them what they thought your O.A.L should be with the bullet your using they should have some idea that would be fairly close.

This sounds simular to a situation I was dealing with a while ago....
Had a shilen 260 barrel rechambered to 65284....gritty feeling while closing bolt....did the black marker trick and found the case was being scratched up near the neck shoulder junction...after i did the marker test I looked back at previous cases and it was very obvious...i just misread the problem...thought it was the neck being squeezed....
This was a rechamber with a rental tool...how clean the tool was, don't know...but apparently it could have been cleaner....
I took a brass brush attached on my drill and ran it in there for awhile(couple minutes) and it made a big difference...so i ran it some more and no more problems.....so then i finished it up with JB borepaste and a fiber brush with drill.....then cleaned it really well....doesnt have any problem now..other than i have little time to shoot it.....
Not saying this is your delimma...but....
Myself...NEW RIFLE...send it back with FL sized brass and a fired brass from another and make sure both work correctly...maybe it was a well used reamer on both rifles....worn out reamer.....
Totally ridiculous problem to have with new rifle....

I think we asked this about your 28 but have you purchased a OAL gauge from Hornady? It is not safe to be reloading without knowing your throat measurements. Christensen uses SAAMI specs as was mentioned in your other thread. SAAMI throats are often shorter than some reloaders desire to get maximum performance but that is what every production rifle manufacturer to my knowledge uses. I would not have any suggestions without first knowing your throat's measurements. I do not own a RUM so I would not know what to expect and I do not shoot Nosler bullets but I do know they typically have a long bearing surface which would case the bullet to be seated deeper than a bullet with a shorter bearing surface.

This sounds simular to a situation I was dealing with a while ago....
Had a shilen 260 barrel rechambered to 65284....gritty feeling while closing bolt....did the black marker trick and found the case was being scratched up near the neck shoulder junction...after i did the marker test I looked back at previous cases and it was very obvious...i just misread the problem...thought it was the neck being squeezed....
This was a rechamber with a rental tool...how clean the tool was, don't know...but apparently it could have been cleaner....
I took a brass brush attached on my drill and ran it in there for awhile(couple minutes) and it made a big difference...so i ran it some more and no more problems.....so then i finished it up with JB borepaste and a fiber brush with drill.....then cleaned it really well....doesnt have any problem now..other than i have little time to shoot it.....
Not saying this is your delimma...but....
Myself...NEW RIFLE...send it back with FL sized brass and a fired brass from another and make sure both work correctly...maybe it was a well used reamer on both rifles....worn out reamer.....
Totally ridiculous problem to have with new rifle....

Just noticed this.....and I think you got it!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts