Christensen Ridgeline Vs Blackberries?

rychek

Curious if anyone knows how the carbon stands up to wear and tear? Out in western Wa. I often have to crawl/bust through some gnarly brush. My hunting rifles are tools and it really shows after a few season. Thanks

The carbon barrels started out as steel barrels that were turned down, and then wrapped in carbon. Barrel life durability is just as good as any other barrel. As for external durability, they're actually stiffer, and because of this, they're supposed to be stronger than regular steel barrels.

My brother in law ran over my dads Christensen barrel twice. Backed over it then pulled forward and realized what he did. Put one little surface scratch and that was it.

Thanks guys, I guess I was concerned that it would pick up small scuffs and scratches and over time mare the finish of the carbon. Clifflopez, I bet your brother in law felt horrible after that.

Regardless of the rifle or material used , if you're going to subject it to very hard use the finish will show it . Wear won't effect performance but it will certainly be a factor if you intend to sell it later on .

I believe there is a proof or christensen video on youtube where they shoot a rifle, unscrew the barrel, then smash a couple concrete blocks over the barrel. then they spin the barrel back on, and it shoots just as good, as well as not having much more than some light scratches. I'm sure the epoxy they use to bond the carbon is pretty tough, especially against plants.

I believe there is a proof or christensen video on youtube where they shoot a rifle, unscrew the barrel, then smash a couple concrete blocks over the barrel. then they spin the barrel back on, and it shoots just as good, as well as not having much more than some light scratches. I'm sure the epoxy they use to bond the carbon is pretty tough, especially against plants.
I believe that's a Proof Research barrel...

Not sure if I'm raining on peoples parades but carbon fiber degrades in sunlight and so does the glue that binds the fibers. How long does it take? I do not know. if you are the type to change your barrels every few years than definitely not an issue but if you expect the barrel to last for 10 years with exposure to the sun, I bet you will see issues such as discoloration or flexing. Just my two cents.

Not sure if I'm raining on peoples parades but carbon fiber degrades in sunlight and so does the glue that binds the fibers. How long does it take? I do not know. if you are the type to change your barrels every few years than definitely not an issue but if you expect the barrel to last for 10 years with exposure to the sun, I bet you will see issues such as discoloration or flexing. Just my two cents.

Sorry but who in their right mind will do something like that.

Sorry but who in their right mind will do something like that.
Not sure what you mean? I'm not saying leaving the gun out all day. I'm saying the simple fact of it being exposed to sunlight a few hours here and there over a 10 year period would definitely damage the carbon fiber and resin. I used to work in that industry. I don't know about you but many times I've hunted or shot in direct sunlight for hours at a time. That is all I'm stating is I doubt the carbon fiber will stand the test of time if you plan on owning that one barrel for a long long time.

I have a real hard time believing that this day in age, with that level of engineering and chemical research, that simply exposing it to the sun while hunting and at the range will do any noticeable damage. I feel like this stuff in particular has evolved leaps and bounds in the last few years alone. I'd put money on the line that a brand new proof could be left out in the desert for 10yrs and the color may not even fade.

Not sure what you mean? I'm not saying leaving the gun out all day. I'm saying the simple fact of it being exposed to sunlight a few hours here and there over a 10 year period would definitely damage the carbon fiber and resin. I used to work in that industry. I don't know about you but many times I've hunted or shot in direct sunlight for hours at a time. That is all I'm stating is I doubt the carbon fiber will stand the test of time if you plan on owning that one barrel for a long long time.

Well, now that you elaborated it, it will last your lifetime before you see anything. I too worked in carbon and plasma coating industry.

So does CM and even stainless steel when its exposed to the elements long enough.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.