Christensen Carbon Barrels on Custom Rifles. Accuracy?

I don't think ANY quality aftermarket barrel (if installed correctly) should take nearly as much load development as being described in this thread. Nodes, ladders, OCW...malarkey, it shouldn't take a ton of time and work and barrel life to find a 1/2-3/4 moa load with a custom barrel.

I don't think ANY quality aftermarket barrel (if installed correctly) should take nearly as much load development as being described in this thread. Nodes, ladders, OCW...malarkey, it shouldn't take a ton of time and work and barrel life to find a 1/2-3/4 moa load with a custom barrel.

I could not agree more with your overall point but just expecting to slap together some ammo and it shooting well is just wishful thinking(not saying this is what happened here). If you do a ladder at long distance followed by seating depth testing you can have a load in under 50 rounds. OCW probably right at 50 or maybe just a few more. Some barrels are just harder to tune. Some chamberings are just harder to tune.

It will if said barrel is junk, and they all make junk barrels from time to time. In my experience button rifled barrels companies have more junk barrels than cut rifled. I rarely use button rifled barrels anymore for that very reason even though I've had some crazy accurate button rifled barrels. My most accurate barrel ever was a Hart .308 barrel but not long after that barrel I had 3 or 4 Harts that were terrible. I haven't had that same experience with cut rifled barrels but it has happened with numerous button rifled barrel companies.

I agree it shouldn't take long to find a sub .5" load with a good custom barrel fitted properly. Unless it's a new to me caliber, I expect to have a new gun shooting in the .3's or better in less than 25 rounds.

I have great luck with my CA barrel. 27" 1-9 twist on a trued Remington action. Sorry you had such rotten luck. Hope they make it right. I am very interested to know what CA does for you. Please let us know.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.