Christensen arms rifle vs a custom?

zr600

ok I have a Ruger markii I am thinking about building off of and making it a 7mm Sherman. Now my question would be how would a custom of my Ruger be vs a Christensen arms rifle?

Are you chasing a carbon barrel? CA actions seem pretty decent and their price point w/ the carbon barrel is attractive but I've read about 50/50 mix of experiences. I am in a similar position, but I think I'm better off barreling up a sporter custom barrel than going w/ a sammi spec CA barrel.

If you are in fact going 7sherman then hands down use the ruger. Or sell the ruger to fund the build with a more user friendly action.

Last edited:
I have had a few custom rifles on rem 700 actions, and I also have a CA ridge line in 300 WM.
The customs with high quality barrels, chamber right, will out shoot my CA. I just put the CA in a new stock and glass bedded it. Plan is to shot the CA and my Rem 700 6.5-284 Brux barreled rifle side by side to see which one is better, now that I have the CA glass bedded in a stocky LRC stock its a better comparison to the 6.5-284 that's bedded in a BC stock. Up to this point, before bedding the CA, I have more confidence in the 6.5-284. The Ruger done right would be a darn sweet gun for sure, But I doubt you could out shoot yourself with it against a CA in 7mm Rem mag in a hunting type situation.

I have read several very positive reviews on the CA. In a head to head evaluation the CA barrel had less stringing than a proof. See applied Ballistics new book. I would not hesitate to buy a CA. In fact if I was not waiting on a new build with a CA barrel I would buy one now. CA 338 lapua will be my next rifle.

7mm comes 1:9 which should handle all but the 195's (though I've heard of some 1:9's shooting 195's), the throat is what will hinder you.

You could rebarrel your Ruger w/ a CA barrel.

I am not a huge Ruger fan but I am fairly confident they are still using very short actions with short magazine boxes. If that is the case it would be a no go for me with a long cartridge.

I ordered my 300 with a 1-9 twist from Christensen. It took about 3 months to get it. If your going to re barrel you can order different twist.

The Christensen is a fantastic option. When you factor in what you're getting for less than $2K, it's hard to justify spending more for performance alone.

I have a ridgeline in 300 WM and the very first group I fired through it was in the .1s and I've shot several groups in the .2s and .3s past 300 yards with 215 hybrids loaded with H1000 or RL26. It's evident to me that Christensen is working hard to improve their rifles.

Last edited:
For a hunting rifle, the CA would be a decent choice. But, at $1.8-2k plus scope, it would be more cost effective to rebarrel your current rifle. But, then you would still only have 1 rifle.

How important is an extra .1" to you? I know this is a small test size, but see below. The CA liked 160s a lot. The custom shoots 160, 168, and 175s extremely well.

CA Ridgeline .280AI load development. 3 shot group after workup during final sight in.

Custom .280AI during final sight in after load development.

IMO, the choice between a production rifle and a custom frequently comes down to more then just shooting performance since we are more frequently seeing production rifles that deliver performance comparable to your CA. A custom rifle in addition to performance, offers the choice of gunsmith, specs and components, making the rifle a personal creation. Since you are asking, is it possible may want more then just the performance? If not, another CA would make sense given your positive experience. If yes, you may find a customary be the better choice. Just my thoughts..

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts