Christensen arms Ridgeline

You're going to love the 6.5-284. Tack driver and very mild recoil. The 140gr Berger VLD seems to be a perfect storm in the 6.5. Great accuracy and performance. Use RL23......very temp stable and will get you 3000 fps. I either shoot the VLD or the 124 gr Hammer Hunter monolithic bullet. It's a laser

Yeah, its ok. They offered me other chamberings for 1600 but I wasn't ok with that. I was fairly frustrated but I'm ok with it now. Thinking of ordering a barreled action from strait jacked in 6.5 x284 on a long action. I have a hs precision stock waiting for something to slip into it. Now I have the itch
Tell Nick you want to buy one of Kris's paradigm 1:8 carbons for your build. I had ordered two and decided to go a different route!

You're going to love the 6.5-284. Tack driver and very mild recoil. The 140gr Berger VLD seems to be a perfect storm in the 6.5. Great accuracy and performance. Use RL23......very temp stable and will get you 3000 fps. I either shoot the VLD or the 124 gr Hammer Hunter monolithic bullet. It's a laser
The speeds I'm seeing seem kinda low. The case capacity is the exact same as a 6.5 prc, so I figured they'd run neck and neck. Heck the factory prc 143s go 3050, 147 go 2980 in my 23" barrel. If I cannot duplicate that with Lapua brass I think we might have a problem.

Joe your the lucky one. More than likely your straight jacket is going to hammer. The CA rifles are very hit or miss. Do a web search on the problems. If you get a good one they are a fantastic deal. But when you get a bad one you might as well move it to a new home. I have 2 customers who got one each from Cabela's and both have been back to CA twice. It looks like they did nothing to either one and sent them back. Twice. My one customer is so mad he wanted to cut it up on my band saw and send it back to them in a little box. I did talk him out of it. It shoots so poorly he didn't have confidence to shoot an elk. That's a pretty big target. Took his cheap Howa instead because it shoots good.
Straight jacket does good work you will be happy. 6.5x284 is a great cartridge.
Shep

The speeds I'm seeing seem kinda low. The case capacity is the exact same as a 6.5 prc, so I figured they'd run neck and neck. Heck the factory prc 143s go 3050, 147 go 2980 in my 23" barrel. If I cannot duplicate that with Lapua brass I think we might have a problem.
My fireformed brass gets 3040 fps with the VLD, and 2997 fps with new brass. Both are one ragged hole groups. Lapua brass is a little thicker in the neck, so you will want to neck turn them for any CA rifle since they tend to have tight chambers.

My fireformed brass gets 3040 fps with the VLD, and 2997 fps with new brass. Both are one ragged hole groups. Lapua brass is a little thicker in the neck, so you will want to neck turn them for any CA rifle since they tend to have tight chambers.
I appreciate that info. Has anyone had any complaints with the lapua brass with the 308 sized case head? All by prs rigs run lapua but SRP. The only brass I know that's more consistent is peterson, and they make 284 brass that could be necked down then turned. Their case heads are very strong but always hold less powder. I'm about to order dies and brass for the rifle.

I appreciate that info. Has anyone had any complaints with the lapua brass with the 308 sized case head? All by prs rigs run lapua but SRP. The only brass I know that's more consistent is peterson, and they make 284 brass that could be necked down then turned. Their case heads are very strong but always hold less powder. I'm about to order dies and brass for the rifle.
I've consistently found Lapua brass to hit pressure earlier than most other brands (typically Nosler)

I wonder if the 1-12 twist could be the reason for the larger groups out of the 20.5" tube, as they dont have as long to stabilize in the tube.
I've consistently found Lapua brass to hit pressure earlier than most other brands (typically Nosler)

Did you have to neck turn your Lapua cases? I have a 308 win that seemed to hit pressure early amd seems to have inconsistent neck pressure when seating. I don't have a neck turner so thinking this may need to be the next purchase.

I have an older Christensen when they used Rem actions. It's a 300 RUM. It shoots very well, however it pressured up really quick. Below book starts from Nosler. I am running the 152 HH in it at a moderate 3504 FPS with 96.5gr H1000.

I saw on another thread, a few other Christensen owners that said the same thing, I think they have pretty tight chambers.

A tight chamber is not going to get your pressure up before book minimum. If your factory loaded ammo went into your chamber it is not too tight. Now there is a chance if the neck is too tight. That can cause higher and eratic pressure. I highly doubt they made a tight neck chamber without specifically putting the spec on the barrel. My guess would be tight bores.
That and any roughness would cause pressure right away. The 2 rifles my customers have had didn't have a problem with pressure. One wouldn't shoot better than 1.5moa with anything we fed it. One of them threw a flyer 2 inches out of the group so often you could count on it.
Shep

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.