Christensen arms question

Yea I tried the 225 eldm's...best I got was 1"+ groups
Bummer - mine shoots the Precision hunter into .75 and the Match into .25. Just curious, what is your round count? My groups all tightened up at about the 50 round mark which is around what CA recommends for a break in…

Bummer - mine shoots the Precision hunter into .75 and the Match into .25. Just curious, what is your round count? My groups all tightened up at about the 50 round mark which is around what CA recommends for a break in…
I haven't kept count but if I had to guess I would say around 100

Say you improved your groups by half, what game animal would notice?

As long as your first cold bore shot is accurate the hundreds or thousands you might spend trying to get that tighter group what have you gained for all of that investment?

If you were shooting competition with five or ten shot strings you have a completely different equation.
But that's the point isn't it - to know where that cold bore shot going?

If I stop at a 5 shot 1 MOA group at 100 yards and my cold bore adds 1/2" to the equation that could equate to as much as 9" at 600 yards.
That is out of the kill zone for many animals.

Bring that down to 1/2 MOA group = 3" @ 600 yards plus the 3" cold bore variation and you are now in the kill zone.

Plus its loads of fun!

If you are not happy with the CA, do not go down the rabbit hole of trying to make it a better shooter. I have done that with my Ridgeline in 6.5 PRC and I'm at the custom gun dollar amount. First was a new stock and now I'm having a barrel installed. My rifle would shoot under an MOA with factory ammo but it was just under. About 0.9". Hand loads would give me the first 2 shots touching and the 3rd a flier in some random direction. My barrel was always on the slower side giving me at least 100fps slower than other CA rifles in the same cartridge with the same factory ammo. Hand loads showed pressure signs early on.
Not bashing CA as I have seen some real shooters but mine was a lemon. I should have sold it and built a custom instead of trying to make tart lemonade.

Say you improved your groups by half, what game animal would notice?

As long as your first cold bore shot is accurate the hundreds or thousands you might spend trying to get that tighter group what have you gained for all of that investment?

If you were shooting competition with five or ten shot strings you have a completely different equation.
CONFIDENCE......period, if you can repeat that 50% improvement all the time. My opinion, and I've read several of the more famous gun writers of the past 40 years say the same thing.

If your average "deer rifle" with 1.5 moa and factory ammo kills deer at 100 yards with boring regularity then so what, my widest WI trophy deer didn't notice, at 90 yards, but if you are going on a trophy deer/elk hunt that cost thousands for the first time and suddenly "old Betsy" is shooting 5" ctc at 200 yards, after your lucky 3 shot group two months earlier shot 3/4"? no thanks, time to upgrade for the future to a dozen different rifles that guarantee a 1" MOA accuracy level.

For what it's worth, thank you Weatherby Vanguard RC, 6.5CM for my first trophy muley at 305 yards through the heart, and my recently scored and certified Boone and Crockett Coues deer at 430 yards :) my two best long range hunting shots I've ever made, just saying...

Attachments

• IMG_1377.jpg
    IMG_1377.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 51
CONFIDENCE......period, if you can repeat that 50% improvement all the time. My opinion, and I've read several of the more famous gun writers of the past 40 years say the same thing.

If your average "deer rifle" with 1.5 moa and factory ammo kills deer at 100 yards with boring regularity then so what, my widest WI trophy deer didn't notice, at 90 yards, but if you are going on a trophy deer/elk hunt that cost thousands for the first time and suddenly "old Betsy" is shooting 5" ctc at 200 yards, after your lucky 3 shot group two months earlier shot 3/4"? no thanks, time to upgrade for the future to a dozen different rifles that guarantee a 1" MOA accuracy level.

For what it's worth, thank you Weatherby Vanguard RC, 6.5CM for my first trophy muley at 305 yards through the heart, and my recently scored and certified Boone and Crockett Coues deer at 430 yards :) my two best long range hunting shots I've ever made, just saying...
How much more confidence will you attain over knowing your first cold bore shot will go exactly where it belongs every time?

I doubt the animal you just killed will notice you hit him in the center of the heart rather than the left or right ventricles.