Christensen arms question

greenecj

I have a CA mesa long range chambered in 300 prc. Im shooting 215berger hybrids with 79.5gr of h1000. Well I havent went crazy with finding the best load yet. Anyways this load has been my best so far and the best was around 3/4" at 100. (I always feel it should be better)

My gun is advertised as "sub moa" which it is but CA has some guns they advertise "half moa" guns. So do they spend more time on those actions and barrels?

So my question is. Would it be worth sending my gun to get the action blueprinted and other work done?

I have been debating back and forth between doing this or just selling the gun and building a totally custom gun (probably 28 nosler)

I just want a ragged hole gun hahaha
Thanks guys

Mine is extremely accurate. That being said, it's a handful of recoil which can make it difficult doing load work up. What is your shooting setup? How did your seating depth groups look? Did you ladder up and down from best seating depth? What experience do you have with heavy recoil? Just trying to help

Mine is extremely accurate. That being said, it's a handful of recoil which can make it difficult doing load work up. What is your shooting setup? How did your seating depth groups look? Did you ladder up and down from best seating depth? What experience do you have with heavy recoil? Just trying to help
Not sure what u mean by shooting set up. Honestly I havent messed with the seating depth for the 215s. The only thing I did was a ladder with h1000 from 76-80 gr.
The recoil isn't really a problem. This is my first caliber other than a 300 rum for the past 20 years hahah
I dont want to sound like I'm bashing the gun because I'm not but I just want to get the best group possible

I have the same exact rifle, and it easily shoots .5 or better when I do my part. I would play with your load a bit, especially seating depth. What velocity, ES/SD are you getting? What scope, and mount setup? I would also see if that group doesn`t tighten up at farther than 100 yds, you might be surprised. While I don`t shoot H1K in mine, I hear it is the go to powder for 300PRC.

I have the same exact rifle, and it easily shoots .5 or better when I do my part. I would play with your load a bit, especially seating depth. What velocity, ES/SD are you getting? What scope, and mount setup? I would also see if that group doesn`t tighten up at farther than 100 yds, you might be surprised. While I don`t shoot H1K in mine, I hear it is the go to powder for 300PRC.
I'm shooting a ziess con4 and ziess rings. I think my chronograph was messing up while I was shooting. It was only reading 29xx fps with that load but when I shot it at 300 yards (same day) to check my balistic solution the number of "clicks" on the scope was equivalent to 3200fps.

I'm shooting a ziess con4 and ziess rings. I think my chronograph was messing up while I was shooting. It was only reading 29xx fps with that load but when I shot it at 300 yards (same day) to check my balistic solution the number of "clicks" on the scope was equivalent to 3200fps.
Wow! That`s smokin for a 300 PRC/215 Even faster than my RUM with a 215. I think I would verify drops out to 1k before I used 3200 as my Avg velocity. In the grand scheme of things, 300 is a relatively short distance to verify drops. If you don`t plan on shooting much farther than that it`s a moot point I guess. IMHO. I for sure would try buy/borrow a good chrony to get some accurate vel, ES/SD numbers though. But as to your original question, I would still see if I couldn`t fine tune your load/seating depth to see if it would tighten up some. Provided your not seeing any pressure at your current CW. My .02

I assume you have also asked this question on LRO under a different user name. If so, I would definitely listen to @Broz advice. Your Vel indicate a very hot load if accurate #s. Not doubting you, just want everyone to be safe.

Checking your ballistic at 300 yds and trying to determine velocity is not going to give much meaningful data. If your shooting 3/4 MOA = 2 1/2 inches at 300 to try to determine drops/ velocity that close is not likely to give you accurate results. You need to verify drops at 600yds minimum to get meaningful data.

also so much goes into gaining a 1/4 minute on your groups hard to say it's the gun. To shoot consistent 1/2MOA your reloading practices have to be spot on as well as your shooting. Lots of other factors than just the gun to be true 1/2moa.

I have the same gun but in 6.5CM. It shoots one hole all day. I would not sell the gun, but as all above have said, work on load, seating depth, and all other factors that can affect the accuracy.

after doing some reading and watching some of the LRO YouTube videos I do have alot of work to do on load development.
I'm not totally new to reloading but fairly new to reloading for long range accuracy.

On another note about the speed. I thought the same thing with it being super fast for that gun. I was very hesitant in putting that solution into the revic rangefinder but I did. Still not totally convinced right but my gun kill 4 deer this year from 340 to 560 yards.
Got me going crazy

Don't worry too much as long as it's not showing pressure . My CA Mesa LR in 300 prc seems to run fast as well and I've caught some grief over it but whatever, it shoots extremely well. I reload for a lot of different rifles and I use a few different methods and it can depend on different things but in the end I want 4-5 shots inside 1" at 200 yards. In your case using h-1000 with 215 bergers, I'd start at whatever your at now for load and coal as long as it's not showing obvious signs of pressure and if conditions allow, I'd make a 4 shot seating ladder with 5thousands increments up and down from your current coal until I'm close to my goal. I usually only shoot 2 unless I feel I've pulled one or shots are touching. I will finish tuning at 5-600 with.01 powder and smaller depth changes if needed until everything is inside a clay pigeon at 600. Lots of different approaches but this works the fastest for me. Hope that helps

I definitely think it helps to do initial load work at 200 even if groups look like crap while working it up. I've had small 100 yard groups fool me and basically for me a waste of time. To each his own though

I have a CA mesa long range chambered in 300 prc. Im shooting 215berger hybrids with 79.5gr of h1000. Well I havent went crazy with finding the best load yet. Anyways this load has been my best so far and the best was around 3/4" at 100. (I always feel it should be better)

My gun is advertised as "sub moa" which it is but CA has some guns they advertise "half moa" guns. So do they spend more time on those actions and barrels?

So my question is. Would it be worth sending my gun to get the action blueprinted and other work done?

I have been debating back and forth between doing this or just selling the gun and building a totally custom gun (probably 28 nosler)

Thanks guys
Say you improved your groups by half, what game animal would notice?

As long as your first cold bore shot is accurate the hundreds or thousands you might spend trying to get that tighter group what have you gained for all of that investment?

If you were shooting competition with five or ten shot strings you have a completely different equation.

Last edited:

Thanks guys
Have you tried some of the Hornady Match Ammo? I have a couple Christensens and they shoot the match ammo into .25 moa groups.

Recent Posts