Christensen Arms pressure issues

northhunter

Has anyone else been getting pressure signs at lower powder charges with their Christensen Arms rifles with factory barrels? I just bought at Mesa in 6.5 prc and am unable to reach the speeds I want because I keep getting pressure signs before I get to max powder charge. I am using the 123 Absolute Hammers. I want to hit between 3200 and 3300 fps and am having no luck. I've tried some of the loads posted on the Absolute Hammer thread and can't seem to get the speeds. I've tried Staball, RL22, 4831sc, and just last night was able to order some RL26. I haven't been able to get over 3213fps and that was with heavy bolt lift. I've also tried 215M and CCI 200 primers. The 4831sc produced numbers similar to the load data for the 127LRX on Barnes website. A friend of mine was getting pressure signs with the factory Hornady eldm's in his Ridgeline. Is this the way CA makes their barrels or am I doing something wrong? Thanks everyone

PS- I still love the gun and plan on keeping it if I can't reach my speeds. In that case I will adapt.

I am running into early pressure in my christensen carbon classic 33 nosler, even with .200" over book COAL 260 gr. Hammer hunters, I'm trying H1000 next as it was recommended.

Lots of variables to consider. Could be a slow barrel. Could be soft brass. Could be not the right powder combination. Could be the batch of bullets. etc etc etc

Then there's the fact that load data posted online typically shows people running WAY too hot...

Lower nodes are more stable, in almost every instance.

I just fired a 5 shot group this morning out of my 6.5RPM Weatherby.
66 gr 7828 the string was3280, 3342,.3358, 3342, 3352.
The 3280 was a clean barrel.???
It was not the best group that rifle has ever fired ,but had a 2 in 1 hole.
That was with the Hammer Hunters 123gr.
But that is more powder than you will ever get in a PRC.
BTW 67 gr 7828 starts to show pressure!

Opps the Hammer Hunters are 124 g.
But I agree with the other fellow, a lot of those loads you see on the internet are probably way hot.

Perhaps I should reconsider my mv goals then. I will try he RL26 and see where that takes me. If I'm not able to get what I want with it, I was able to get an incredible node with the 4831sc at around 3080fps and shoot close to 1/2 moa.

9 pages of 6.5 PRC Discussion 👍

Give the CA rifle some time, needs around hundred rounds down the tube before it starts to behave properly.
I'd say thats true of nearly any barrel. I never trust them under 200rnds. They just act like teenagers.

those powders other than the sta bil seem too slow to me I would try rl 15 or 4350 they burn a little faster may get you there but if it's only 100 fps off whatever you shoot won't know the difference

CALL CA! What you think is pressure signs may not be, CA uses stiffer springs in ejectors that will leave marks even when there is no pressure. There head spacing is very tight which can lead to small marks on bottom of case and tight bolts. My ridgeline 300wsm was doing this a quick call and sending them a few pictures they said this is normal and that some of it will decrease with rounds fired. They are not a reloaders dream, made for best accuracy with factory rounds and they have short throats for factory rounds.

Last edited: