Christensen Arms 6.5 PRC question

I just got off the phone with Christensen Arms. They said do the popsicle stick technique, loosen the bottom screws put the popsicle stick on the right side and re-torque back down. Said if that doesn't correct it from touching send back in and they will check everything and do a full bed on it.

I just got off the phone with Christensen Arms. They said do the popsicle stick technique, loosen the bottom screws put the popsicle stick on the right side and re-torque back down. Said if that doesn't correct it from touching send back in and they will check everything and do a full bed on it.

That's good news Steiger. Just send it back regardless. It will probably shift again at some point after the popsicle stick method and if they offered to full bed it that's what you want done anyways. Superiority to spot bedding and should be done anyways.

I have heard that if the bipod isnt square,legs even or you load it unevenly it will affect POI drastically. No first hand knowledge, just hear say. But from a reputable source.

That's good news Steiger. Just send it back regardless. It will probably shift again at some point after the popsicle stick method and if they offered to full bed it that's what you want done anyways. Superiority to spot bedding and should be done anyways.
The popsicle stick trick merely tells them/you that the problem is in the bedding. But definitely give Christensen the opportunity to correct the problem. AND don't forget to mention this thread !!!

I was out shooting this weekend in a long range course and we found that when you put a load on the bipod it shoots 6 MOA right. When inspecting everything we rechecked all the torque specs and everything was to factory standards. Then inspecting the barrel you can see it is touching the stock in the front of the gun. We were able to shim it to get through the course but this is not acceptable. Has anyone else experienced this?
Thank you

i have seen the MAGPUL Hunter Stocks collapse into the barrel When using a bipod. Its possible the stock you have is flexing enough to hit the barrel. Haven't seen it with any Chis stock but it's possible.

Also I may be miss speaking about loading the bipod. What I am saying is when I get behind the gun I have a little forward pressure on the gun into the bipod. That is what I was considering loading the bipod. If this isn't the correct terminology I apologize for misrepresenting that.
Me too. I always load the bipod forward. I ran a lot of tests years ago and determined that shooting a bipod off a wood or concrete bench vs the ground or angled base will change POI and throw flyers. I even machine the slots in atlas mountS now to give the gun some free recoil movement.

Not bashing but it's crazy how many people have issues with CA rifles

I've set up a bunch of these over the last couple of years and kicked out some phenomenal results. That said, just like any factory produced rifle, there are a few things I do prior to firing. I pull them apart, clean, adjust the trigger, ensure adequate barrel clearance (adjust if necessary), and torque it all back together. All of them have far exceeded the accuracy guarantee.

Good news, pretty much inline with what a lot of posters suspected. IMO ditch the stick and send it in. Never know when your rifle might take a fall and the barrel could slip right back to touching the stock again.

Me too. I always load the bipod forward. I ran a lot of tests years ago and determined that shooting a bipod off a wood or concrete bench vs the ground or angled base will change POI and throw flyers. I even machine the slots in atlas mountS now to give the gun some free recoil movement.
If you stop loading the bipod you would probably get less flyers.

Cconsider this. Not sure what caliber your shooting but lets assume you shooting at 2500 fps. Thats over 1700 mph! I would think that by the time your bipod flexed your bullet would be long gone. My guess would be it was something putting a constant pressure on the barrel, like stock contact changing the alingment of you scope or sights just enough to make the moa difference your talking about. In the lead sled the rifle is supported much differently than a bipod. My math of course.

your math is sorta right but there are two things missing. One, recoil is instant. Law of physics. Equal and opposite reaction. So the gun is moving Backward at the exact time the bullet moves forward. Two. Shock wave/harmonics. The shock wave that moves down the barrel is traveling at 25,000 feet per second, ((+/-) or 17,000 mph. So the gun and bipod react to the shot before the bullet has moved 5". Or Pretty much.
Harmonics is what we are tuning when we develop a load. The end of the barrel oscillates like a tuning fork while the bullet is in the barrel.

I'm going to switch scopes (like I have a spare $1300 VX6HD) and shoot it again. If the group size doesn't shrink down to 1/2" it's going back to CA. For a $2200 rifle it should be perfect and I ain't a gunsmith. It could be the scope. I'll keep you posted.

I'm going to switch scopes (like I have a spare $1300 VX6HD) and shoot it again. If the group size doesn't shrink down to 1/2" it's going back to CA. For a $2200 rifle it should be perfect and I ain't a gunsmith. It could be the scope. I'll keep you posted.
Did you do a load development for this rifle or just out of the box ammo? 300WSM cartridge can be finicky. I've done load development for a few and they can be tricky. A 7" group is somewhat extreme but just saying. Check your scope base torque, rings, etc.... I've also read some issues on this website about VX6 issues. Good luck and I hope you figure it out.

No load development, I was using HSM 185 Bergers, they always shot great in other rifles. I used a torque wrench to install the rings, plenty tight, something isn't right.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.