Christensen 280ai or build with proof research barrel?

Which barrel maker

• Christensen arms

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • Proof research

Votes: 18 78.3%

• Total voters

Couch11b

im struggling with a decision to just buy a Christensen Arms ridgeline in 280ai or build my own using a proof research barrel? Really consistency is the only deciding factor. Would like to hear from some of those that have experience with one or the other. This is a hunting rifle. No need for bench rest precision or anything like that. Cold bore shot info would also be helpful. Thanks

Personally I like to have control over how much freebore and neck dia, not buy the gun and find out the chamber dimensions are not what I want. It does make a difference. Find a good Smith that has the reamer to match the bullet you want to shoot or send a dummy round to JGS or Manson's and have your own reamer built and buy a Proof.

I don't personally own one but I've shot with 4 different buddies that have ridgelines and they all shot way better then I expected. 2 were shooting .5-.75 3 shot groups with factory ammo. The others were slightly better with handloads.

The one buddy shooting a 6.5 Creedmoor with factory ammo had first round hits on a 16" target at 1000 yards. He had never shot beyond 400 prior to that.

I'm not a Christensen fan but it really seems like they shoot now days. I wouldn't be scared to buy one. All that being said if you don't mind spending more for a custom then go custom.

I think I may build a proof barrel on a defiance action I have two other rifles on those actions and they are hard to beat.

I have a custom .280AI. It cost way more than a CA Ridgeline with using an R700LA. It weighs 6lbs 12oz w/o scope. 8lbs 13oz all in. It shoots mid/high .1s with two different loads.
R700LA w. CF tac knob, alloy bolt shroud, fluted bolt, TI firing pin
26" 1:9" Proof Sendero Light plus Hawkins 3 port brake
Manners EH1
Rem factory alloy BDL
Shilen Match trigger

I have shot two different CA Ridgelines in .280AI. Both shot high .2s to low .3s. Cheaper, slightly lighter if I remember right too. I have shot 5 or 6 other Ridgelines in different chamberings as well. All shot sub .5 MOA pretty easily with good handloads.

Is saving money and having the same rifle as 100s of others is worth giving up .15" in accuracy, go for the CA. They are very good shooting factory rifles.

For me, I like my one of a kind tack driver.

I'd say one of the reasons the new Ridgelines shoot so well is their Triggertech trigger. A great trigger makes it easier to shoot consistently accurate.

All depends on your budget. If your fine spending the $ to do a build then go that way. A proof barrel on a custom action is arguably about as good as it gets. I would prefer a proof carbon barrel over a Christensen carbon barrel.

If you're on a budget then the ridgeline is a good choice. I've shot several and as others have said, all of them were 3/4 MOA or less. A good value for $2000 or less.

The Ridgelines are a great buy for the price with all the features they provide......I had a 300 win built with a Rem 700 action all trued and fluted and bolt and handle all dolled up... I put a CA heavy Carbon Barrel on it and a Timney Trigger. Used a Ridgeline Stock and Bottom Metal plus their tune-able Titanium Break.. Rifle was 9.5lbs scoped with HST Vortex ... I was around $1000 more to have it done then just buying a Ridgeline...This gun really shot well... But if I had to do it over I would just buy a Ridgeline

Nosler .280AI brass
Fed GM210M
60.3 H1000
160 TMK
2991fps
.169" @100
2.9" @ 851

Nosler .280AI brass
Fed GM210M
58.0 RL23
175 Berger Elite
2975fps
.199" @ 200
2.7" @ 921

I like a custom as much as the next guy but if CA chambers in the cartridge you are after then it will be very hard to justify the extra cost of a custom. As far as the trigger TT triggers are ok but if people would actually run a fully adjustable trigger with max over travel or a Bix n Andy for a while I think most would never go back. More dwell time is never a bad thing. There is a reason you will not find a trigger on a benchrest shooting line with no over travel.

FYI i have two 280 AI's.... one built on a remington 700 trued up and 25" douglas barrel. I got the build done for about $1,300 then added a triggertech for another $125. Mine's an 8.5 twist and it is right on the edge of stabilizing the barnes 168 LRX (i haven't gotten them to shoot in my 7mag or other 280 ai either though).

It shoots 160 federal trophy bonded tipped reloads @ 3105 fps.

Other one was a savage with a criterion prefit i did.... 26" heavy sporter. Shot the Sierra 165 Gamechangers at 3155 fps, just started to see pressure.

A few things come to mind and one has been mentioned:
1. Twist - not sure what CA does in their 280 AI, but a custom would allow the twist you wanted.
2. Freebore - not sure what to expect with the CA, you could have your custom throated accordingly to the bullets you wanted to shoot.
3. Barrel length - self explanatory

RL26 gets 50-100 fps more than any other powder i tried (7828ssc, 4831sc, ramshot mag). RL26 isn't the most temp stable but isn't the worst. It really makes the 280 AI shine in my book. Shooting it is a pleasure compared to a true magnum.

Best of luck... I don't think you'll go wrong either way.

By the way, great choice on the cartridge. If you handload, and i'm biased here.... but i think it's the ideal cartridge for a deer/elk combo rifle. 7 mag performance without the recoil or blast of of a belted magnum is a win/win. Add factory brass choices and even loaded ammo... not much there isn't to love in my biased book.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts