Christensen 28 Nosler (Pressure/Extractor)

shooters

I can't seem to figure out how to post a picture. I have a new 28 Nosler Christensen Ridgeline rifle. Purchased new 4 days ago. Started break in with factory 168 Nosler Customs. Bolt is a little tight when feeding a round, a little tight after fired, and some pretty decent exctractor stamps on every round. Can someone give me some insight or advice on what's going on here? I've heard everything from head space, hot loads, etc. I haven't fired anything else through it, but seems unusual for factory ammo? I'll keep trying to post a pics.

B9839ED6-7745-47CE-B5D4-31583AD18AEC.png

Looks like your firing pin hole is beveled also. That's most likely the cause for your cratered primers.
This is also a reason you are getting hard bolt lift.

Nosler brass IS soft in my experience, I no longer buy it.

Cheers.
:eek:

Looks like your firing pin hole is beveled also. That's most likely the cause for your cratered primers.
This is also a reason you are getting hard bolt lift.

Nosler brass IS soft in my experience, I no longer buy it.

Cheers.
:eek:

So as in it's just the soft brass or I have a possible issue?

Its not the brass causing the issue. That is high pressure, thats why you have an extractor mark. It can be caused from a very tight bore, guns with a tight bore need starting loads and may show pressure a grain or two above the minimum powder charge, you may even have to start a couple of grains below minimum or In correct head space.

It's not from soft brass. Nosler is softer than Lapua but is not the cause of that. I've had two CA Ridgelines in 28 and 30 Nosler without that issue. The other thing is almost all production 700s and clones have sloppy firing pin holes.

You may have a tight chamber, which pushes pressure up and, in combination with Nosler brass, is showing/producing excessive pressure for THAT brass.
I would still have the manufacturer look at the chamber and firing pin hole, cratered primers from a bevel are a PITA.

Cheers.
:)

Even with soft brass, you have an issue. I have run nosler 26 brass very hard, but never gotten an ejector swipe that heavy.
Could there be a burr around the ejector hole in the bolt face? That is scraping the brass off.

Well it's for sure going back. So are these not pre-fired from the factory before going out the door? I shot, cleaned, shot cleaned until the box of factory 168 was done, and I cleaned it before even firing the first round and it was definitely blue for 6 or 7 patches, so I would have assumed it was shot. Either way, pretty bummed about it.

Its not the brass causing the issue. That is high pressure, thats why you have an extractor mark. It can be caused from a very tight bore, guns with a tight bore need starting loads and may show pressure a grain or two above the minimum powder charge, you may even have to start a couple of grains below minimum or In correct head space.
Please explain how this is NOT a brass issue. Nobody said it WAS the brass causing the issue. A tight chamber will cause HARD BOLT CLOSURE. The bore size has NOTHING to do with it.
The brass is the EVIDENCE that there is a problem.
Nosler brass is made by Norma, it is soft, soft brass obturates more at LOWER pressures than HARDER brass like Winchester or Lapua.

Why do "tight bore" guns require start loads?

:confused:

Did you clean before you shot the first shot ? Are you sure you're getting the chamber dry?