chosing the best platform to start with.

Big Norm

Hi all. Im new to this forum and to long and medium range shooting. Wanting to take my first step into medium 400-600 yrd shooting. I have several guns and calibers in mind..

I currently own a Savage 116 fss in 270 Winchester 23in fluted barrel with factory muzzle brake and a FNAR in 308 with 20 in barrel.. I am presently entertaining 2 rifles and 2 different calibers. First is a Savage:

Savage Arms

Second is a Remington Sendero SF II

CALIBER choices are either 7mm win mag or 300win mag.
If I go with the savage it will more than likely be a 300wsm due to the fact that the Bell Carson stock I would buy for the Savage only comes in short action only..

I do intend to reload.. I use the 270 for all my hunting so I am looking to build something to punch paper but still give me something to stop BIG Aliens and zombies..

Any help is appreciated!!

What model savage? Copy and paste doesn't work from savages gun finder! It will work if you do a google search for the particular model!

The Sendero is hard to say no to for a great starter platform.

Float it, bed it, and you are off to the races. Pretty much every Sendero I've seen will shoot sub MOA with good factory ammo after doing the above and putting decent glass on it.

I own two of them and both fit that model quite well.

The .300wm is a great choice as well.

As for the stock, the HS precision Sendero stock is a great stock and saves you having to spend extra for a custom stock unless you just want to do something special to customize your rig.

I like the look of the Sendero and the long barrel is a draw but the only thing I know about a Remington is what I have read.. I have the Savage in 270, but didnt know id the 26in barrel of the Sendero makes it a better option then the 23in Savage barrel with muzzle brake. The factory brake plus the accuracy of my current Savage sways me toward Savage..

Cost between the two will be initially the same as the Savage has a standard camo stock which will have to be replaced.. hate camo!!!!!

The Remington has no brake so that would have to be added..

The biggest thing is which has the most potiential with minimal modifications.. I would like to stay under $2500 with gun, scope, bedding, brake or stock based on which one I choose..

Am I over looking anything else?

Unless you just want to add to your arsenal, the rifles you have are capable of shooting at your range goal. Depending on the range and size of them aliens and zombies, with proper handloads, it you might be able to neutralize them.

For instance, with Matrix VLDs in 165/175 grain and the Berger 170 grain (soon to be available) bullets, it takes the .277 cals to a new level. If you do a search, there are plenty of threads to drool on. :D There's also a nice article on .270 Win on the article section worth reading.

At $2500 rifle only budget, it gives you a lot of flexibility and you're within reach of a custom built price range.

Below is my semi-custom build for your comparison only, there are others who have done similar projects.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f22/my-budget-270-ai-97745/

IMHO, as far as best platform, it boils down to preference. The Remington 700 is probably the most cloned action and the Savage actions are preferred by most DIYers ... hopefully, others will chime in. lightbulb

Good luck and welcome to LRH.

Ed

Yeah Feenix, I got a bad case of the wants right now and the 270 has been spoken for by my 10yr old who has been bitten by the gun bug as well.. ill be customizing it per his specs as long as he stays on that "A" &"B" honor roll!!

Im currently in a love hate relationship with the FNAR so I think im about to find me another lover..I looked at your rig... really nice!!! Whats the difference in the 270ai and 270win... is there that big od a difference?

I have a question. I'm trying to get into the hunting scene, (deer, elk, mountain lion), I have an O/U 12 Ga. with a 28" barrel. I've been reading up on Slug guns and I'm very interested in a "combo" setup. My question is, why do slug gun barrels only come in 24" why not 32"? I would think if one can accomplish a 3" shot group at 100-150 yrds with a 24" barrel couldn't one accomplish the same grouping at 150-200 yrds with a 32"? Or am I just dreaming?:rolleyes:

Good on you! That .270 will make one happy young shooter/hunter.

I'm in no means an expert on the AI as this my first wildcat/AI. The. 270 Win has a shoulder angle of 17 deg 30' and the. 270 AI has 40 deg. Essentially, the AI case once fire-formed will have dimensions that are straigther in the body with less taper. This increases capacity (~6 grains) for more powder and increased velocity. The sharper AI shoulder angle contributes to more consistent headspace and less case stretching. It is also believed to improve barrel life by reducing throat erosion.

Hopefully, others with more knowledge and experience will chime in.

Sounds interesting but more than I want to tackle at the moment.. Im still trying to embrace the basics of medium and long range shooting.. there are a lot of pieces to this puzzle.. who know a lil bullet can cause so much confusion..

Thanks for the help so far!!

I have a question. I'm trying to get into the hunting scene, (deer, elk, mountain lion), I have an O/U 12 Ga. with a 28" barrel. I've been reading up on Slug guns and I'm very interested in a "combo" setup. My question is, why do slug gun barrels only come in 24" why not 32"? I would think if one can accomplish a 3" shot group at 100-150 yrds with a 24" barrel couldn't one accomplish the same grouping at 150-200 yrds with a 32"? Or am I just dreaming?:rolleyes:
Most likely there is no gain to the longer barrel, not to mention carrying a 51" shotgun around the woods would be horrible.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.