Chosing a Smith"

BrokenHorn

Chosing a Smith\"

I'm doing my reaserch to build me a gun. I pride myself in being able to do as much competant work as I can. I can easily do a lot of the work myself, but I do need a Smith to square the action and barrel with each other.

I have never used a "Smith" before. So when I go to visit them and their shop what do I look for to know that I am getting a good one?

Thanks for your help.

Re: Chosing a Smith\"

Number one thing to do, ask for references and get ahold of prior customers of that gunsmith.

A gunsmith can advertise all they want about how good their rifles are if you ask them. The key to getting the honest unbiased trueth is to see that the actual rifles will do and to talk to their owners.

The final result, the rifle is the grade of a quality smith, not the tools he used, not the technique he uses, not the componants he used, its the finished product that tell weither they know their skill and are worth hiring to build you a rifle.

Good Luck in your search.

Kirby Allen(50)

Try to find a smith that builds what you want, especially when talking custom guns. Go to matches, ranges, etc to find people who shoot his guns and talk to them.

There are a lot of smiths that are known for specialty work on LR guns, tactical rifles, AR 15s, Short range BR guns, shotguns, stocking, painting stocks etc.

Also, Ideally you want one locally that you can deal with and talk face to face. Now that may not be possible, so go with one who has the references in the specialty area you need.

If you do not have friends or people you know who can vouch for the smith, then go to www.6mmbr.com and look at their recommended top gunsmiths. They run the range of tactical, LR and SR br smiths. Everyone is extremely well known in their respective areas, delivers a top quality product in a timely manner for a fair price. Their guns are proven match winners and/or game getters. Of course there are more very good smiths, but those have been carefully researched and interviewed on what they do and how before they were listed. They did not pay to get listed either, they had to be recommended by top shooters, and people in the field and be proven to be reliable and fair to their customers.

BH

Whatever you do don't use Kirby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He doesn't need any more work. The less you guys send him, the faster he'll get my stuff out!!

All jokes aside, I would highly recomend him. You can see the accuracy results on this board. They are all over the place. What you can't see on this board is the finish on his rifles. Absolutely perfect!! I was so impressed w/my 270 AM that I've sent him a couple more projects to work on. All of this combined w/the fact that he is honest and easy to work w/and I don't think I'll be looking for another gunsmith in this lifetime!!

I can vouch for Kirby as well. He has built me 6 rifles over the last 2 years with number 7 in the wings. He is phenominal. His work and attention to detail is second to none. I have had a number of customs built over the years and NONE have shot as well as Mr. Allens rifles. He has taken my shooting ability to a new level. Thats a fact.

David Tooley out of Gastonia, North Carolina. Not only is he a excellent gun smith, he is a great guy and easy to talk too. He is one of the ten best gun smiths in the United States. He built my 6.5x284, he does excellent work. He is currently building my second rifle. He is highly recommended!!!! Good luck, Wildcat.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.