choosing Rangefinder

backy33

I have done a bunch of reading on various rangefinders in the market. Ive pretty much broke it down to two. Looking at the Bushnell 1300 G-force and the Leica 1600b. I understand there is quite a price difference between the two. Id like to think I can afford the leica but with the right persuasion i might just pull the trigger. If someone can convince me that the Bushnell will range 1000 yards no problem thats all I'd need to save $400.

With both rangefinders being fairly new what are some field experiences with these two? Ive owned the leica 1000 and had a hell of a time ranging in the snow in NE SD. No snow and it worked great. Dont want the same thing to happen. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to LRH and enjoy!

Use the LRH search (top right), there are plenty of info about the Leica rangefinders.

I have the 1600, depending on the reflective properties of the object and environmental conditions, you can effectively range them beyond the 1K yard range easily.

Last year, I ranging mulies at 1600-1800 yards when it was cloudy and light snow. I've also, structures, rocks, etc ... beyond 2100 yards. Each unit might vary in ranging capabilities.

Good luck!

Ed

I can sacrifice the optical quality if i can get consistent readings to 1000 yards in less than standard conditions. I have heard sone horror stories with the leica in snow/overcast days. But with their optical quality im hoping they have made improvements for this so i can get both consistent reading and quality at the same time. 75% of my use with a rangefinder is in bad weather conditions. I need it to be great on both fronts.

My back up unit is a Leica 1600. Was watching for wolves today and got to ranging stuff with the Leica. Small trees along a large snow covered grain field. They were at roughly 400, 900, 1200, 1580 yards. Followed up with the Vectronix and got the same readings within 2 yards on all targets. I still say the Leica 1600 is the best value out there bar none.

Jeff

My back up unit is a Leica 1600. Was watching for wolves today and got to ranging stuff with the Leica. Small trees along a large snow covered grain field. They were at roughly 400, 900, 1200, 1580 yards. Followed up with the Vectronix and got the same readings within 2 yards on all targets. I still say the Leica 1600 is the best value out there bar none.

Jeff

I don't know about that.......

Lieca 1600 cost..$800.00.... range..1500 yards...cost per yard = .54 a yard.

Vectronix Terrapin. cost $1800.00....range 4500 yards...cost per yard = .40 per yard.

Winner....vectronix!! :D :D :D

That is the logic I used to convince myself that I truly NEEDED a Vectronix!!!

Hey man..it's math....you can't argue with math. :)

I got a top-of-the-line Bushnell rangefinder a few years ago, and well...................................

It didn't perform up to my expectations or do what it was advertised to do.

It was ADVERTISED to range out to 1200 yards on hard targets- real world use maybe 800.

It was ADVERTISED to range deer out to 600 yards- real world use maybe 350.

It ate batteries like there was no tomorrow.

Fit an finish just sucked.

Optical quality, what optical quality? I've seen better from (GASP) NCStar (and I HATE them with a burning passion).

And the price was something ridiculous.

Come to think of it, it was just like all the other Bushnell products I've owned.

To each his own, and for this fella, Bushnell is simply not my own.

I don't know about that.......

Lieca 1600 cost..$800.00.... range..1500 yards...cost per yard = .54 a yard.

Vectronix Terrapin. cost $1800.00....range 4500 yards...cost per yard = .40 per yard.

Winner....vectronix!! :D :D :D

That is the logic I used to convince myself that I truly NEEDED a Vectronix!!!

Hey man..it's math....you can't argue with math. :)

LOL that's good. I too will not be letting my Vectronix go away soon. But the problem in your math is that you can now buy a Leica 1600 on line for $650. I picked mine up used off this site for $500 Now that was a bargain!!

Jeff

Got the Bushy Fusion 12X50 binos and have no problems on cow sized animals well past a grand. Have not done a comparo with others.....No Need...These work every time I ask them to with out fail. The Binos are pretty good size though and not a real light weight piece of kit.

I bought the Bushnell Elite 1600 it wouldn't range anything past 680....and that wad a 47' boat....they are very ordinary IMO.......I bought the Leica and have never looked back....

I have a ancient Bushnell Yardage pro 1000 and it regularly reads past 1000. I have a hard time believing these posts that the new ones dont work. I dont see this same results being spoke on other sites either. I think sometimes the people on this sight get name happy and convince themselves that only the great names will work and thats not true. If they dont work then it is your own fault for not having them fixed or replaced. I have looked at the fusions and although the optics were clear they had a green tint I was not in love with. However I was reading off of trees down the road at 1300 yards.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.